Super League: Hull FC 10-17 St Helens

St Helens winger Tommy Makinson
Tommy Makinson scored four tries in last week's Challenge Cup victory over York City Knights
First Utility Super League
Hull FC (6) 10
Tries: Pryce, Abdull Goals: Sneyd
St Helens (8) 17
Tries: McDonnell, Makinson Goals: Charnock 3, Makinson Drop-goal: Turner

St Helens moved up to second in Super League with victory at Hull FC.

Shannon McDonnell's try, along with penalties from Lewis Charnock and Tommy Makinson, put the visitors 8-0 ahead.

Marc Sneyd converted Leon Pryce's try to reduce the deficit to 8-6 at the break, but Charnock's penalty edged St Helens four points clear.

Jordan Abdull's score brought the hosts level but Makinson replied quickly, while Charnock's conversion and Jordan Turner's drop-goal made the game safe.

St Helens move above Wigan Warriors into second and remain three points behind Leeds Rhinos, who beat Hull KR 36-16 at home.

The visitors went ahead when McDonnell finished off a well-worked move and Charnock added the conversion, before Makinson's penalty made it 8-0.

Pryce held off two tackles to score for the hosts and Sneyd's kick closed the gap to two points at the interval.

Charnock's penalty five minutes into the second half moved St Helens 10-6 ahead.

Abdull barged his way over to bring the hosts level, but Sneyd missed the extras and the chance to put the Black and Whites ahead for the first time.

And Hull soon paid for that miss when Makinson collected a Travis Burns kick to score and Charnock's conversion stretched his side's lead to six points.

Turner's drop-goal secured the win for the visitors with 60 seconds remaining.

Hull FC coach Lee Radford on referee Matt Thomason:

"We had enough opportunities to win five games of footy at the end, but our skill set wasn't good enough and that cost us.

"They (Saints) realised the ref wasn't going to put a whistle in his mouth. They slowed it down at the ruck, that was smart by their coach.

"He (the referee) was very reluctant to penalise anyone for slowing the ruck down and they handled it better than us.

"When you're playing against the bloke in the middle as well, it makes it difficult."

St Helens coach Keiron Cunningham:

"It was brilliant. Hull had a lot of ball at the end, but we hung on and hung on. We had good resolve and it was pleasing to hang in and get the victory.

"Our start to the games hasn't been the greatest and it was something we wanted to work on. We got here five minutes before warm-up, that's not an excuse but it's hard.

"We just keep turning up for each other and you can't fabricate that. You can't make it up, it's something that is built by spirit and that want for the victory."

Hull FC: Rankin, Naughton, Talanoa, Yeaman, Michaels, Pryce, Sneyd, Watts, Houghton, Paea, Minichiello, Sa, Ellis.

Replacements: Abdull, Thompson, Green, Whiting.

St Helens: McDonnell, Makinson, Fleming, Turner, Swift, Burns, Charnock, Walmsley, Roby, Amor, Flanagan, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Jones.

Replacements: Savelio, Masoe, Richards, Thompson.

Referee: Matthew Thomason (RFL).

Attendance: 10,320

Top Stories