Super League: Catalans Dragons 58-16 Wigan Warriors

Tony Gigot
Tony Gigot's hat-trick was his first three Super League tries for Catalans
First Utility Super League
Catalans Dragons (34) 58
Tries: Yaha 2, Gigot 3, Taia 3, Oldfield, Escare Goals: Dureau 9
Wigan (10) 16
Tries: Charnley, Sarginson, Burgess Goals: Smith 2

Tony Gigot and Zeb Taia both scored hat-tricks as Catalans Dragons thrashed Wigan in the Super League.

After Josh Charnley had given Wigan an early lead, Fouad Yaha, Gigot and Taia all scored twice as Catalans raced into a 34-10 lead at half-time.

Joe Burgess added to Dan Sarginson's first-half score to give Warriors hope.

But both Taia and Gigot completed their hat-tricks after Michael Oldfield crossed, while Morgan Escare also touched down for the rampant hosts.

Catalans' victory lifts them above Castleford into sixth place in the table while Wigan, who have now lost back-to-back games after being beaten by Hull KR in the Challenge Cup last week, missed the chance to reclaim second spot and stay third.

The visitors could not have wished for a better start as Matty Bowen got Charnley on the ball and he slid over for a try.

However, the hosts soon responded when 18-year-old Yaha touched down in the corner before Gigot scored his first Super League try in a Catalans shirt to put his side in front.

Taia scored their third try under the posts and, although Sarginson replied, Catalans eased clear as Taia caught a high kick for his second before Gigot touched down and Yaha slid over in the corner.

Burgess reduced the deficit early in the second half but Oldfield restored his side's 24-point advantage when he touched down in the corner.

Elliott Whitehead tapped a high kick back for Taia to run clear and complete his hat-trick and Escare re-gathered his own kick for the Dragons' ninth try.

Gigot then forced his way over in the corner to complete his treble and Scott Dureau added his ninth conversion to complete the scoring.

Catalans Dragons: Escare, Oldfield, Gigot, Tonga, Yaha, Carney, Dureau, Elima, Henderson, Casty, Taia, Whitehead, Baitieri.

Replacements: Anderson, Mounis, Pelissier, Bousquet.

Wigan: Bowen, Burgess, J. Tomkins, Sarginson, Charnley, Powell, Smith, Crosby, McIlorum, Mossop, Bateman, Patrick, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Williams, Tautai, Sutton, Lloyd.

Att: 10,423

Referee: James Child (RFL)