Super League: Wigan Warriors 28-0 Castleford Tigers

Sean O'Loughlin
Sean O'Loughlin returned for Wigan having missed 37 matches for the Warriors in the last three seasons
First Utility Super League
Wigan (10) 28
Tries: Burgess, McIlorum, Sarginson, Manfredi Goals: Smith 6
Castleford (0) 0

Wigan secured their fifth straight win with a thumping victory over Castleford in a soggy affair at the DW Stadium.

The Tigers could not capitalise on early pressure and Matty Smith slotted two penalties following Cas indiscipline.

Before the break, Joe Burgess dived on Smith's kick ahead for the first try.

Smith's third penalty followed by tries in the last 12 minutes from Michael McIlorum, Dan Sarginson and Dominic Manfredi sealed victory.

The Tigers, who recorded their biggest ever win over Wigan in Super League with a 42-14 victory in March, started brightly, pinning the home side in their own half, but a handling error from Liam Finn gave Warriors a reprieve.

Referee Ben Thaler then penalised Cas for ripping the ball and Smith gave Wigan their first points of the evening.

Tigers continued to press with Junior Moors held up on the try-line before Jordan Tansey broke through in the following play, but could not keep hold of the ball.

Wigan again opted for the two points when Sean O'Loughlin had the ball stolen in the tackle, before Smith kicked straight from a scrum and Burgess beat everyone to the ball to slide over before the interval.

Wigan were awarded a third penalty after the break, again converted by Smith, but wet conditions ensured the home side were not yet out of Cas's reach.

Castleford stayed in touch until the final 12 minutes, when Smith's 40-20 caught Tansey out of position and McIlorum capitalised from dummy-half in the resulting set of six.

Sarginson then crossed following a break from Burgess out wide, before Manfredi evaded three defenders to finish off the rout.

Tigers fall to sixth place in the Super League table whilst Wigan move to second, behind first-placed Leeds.

Wigan Warriors coach Shaun Wane:

"I am very happy. Our defence was great against a good team in conditions that would suit them more than us with them being a big set.

"I thought our attitude to defending was good. We were quite busted today and to nil a team like that and two weeks on the trot makes me very happy.

"Whether it is dry or wet we seem to be able to perform and against really good opposition."

Castleford coach Daryl Powell:

"The scoreline doesn't really reflect the game I don't think. I thought the boys worked really hard without getting anything out of it.

"It was a tough game but I don't think there was too much between the sides. It was not through lack of effort, tenacity or desire to win the game.

"In lots of areas we were really good tonight but couldn't get that score that would put Wigan under pressure."

Wigan: Hampshire; Manfredi, J. Tomkins, Sarginson, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Crosby, McIlorum, Mossop, Lloyd, Bateman, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Tautai, Powell, Patrick, Sutton.

Castleford: Tansey; Gibson, Channing, Shenton, Clare; Finn, Gale; Bailey, Milner, Boyle, Mariano, Moors, Jewitt.

Replacements: Millington, Wheeldon, Webster, Roberts.

Referee: Ben Thaler

Attendance: 15,022

Top Stories