Super League: Wigan Warriors 60-0 Hull KR

Wigan celebrate with Joe Burgess
Wigan celebrate with Joe Burgess
First Utility Super League
Wigan Warriors (34) 60
Tries: Crosby, Burgess 3, Farrell, Tomkins, Williams 2, Sarginson, Manfredi, Tautai Goals: Smith 8
Hull KR (0) 0

Wigan Warriors ran in 11 tries against Hull KR as they closed the gap on Super League leaders Leeds to four points.

Dom Crosby, Joe Burgess and Liam Farrell went over in the first 10 minutes as Hull KR barely got a touch.

Burgess grabbed his second, while Joel Tomkins and George Williams also went over, as Wigan led 34-0 at half-time.

Dan Sarginson, Dom Manfredi and Taulima Tautai got their names on the scoresheet, Williams went over again and Burgess completed his hat-trick.

Already without winger Josh Mantellato, who was absent to attend his brother's wedding in Australia, Hull KR were dealt a blow in the warm-up when they lost the services of Kevin Larroyer to injury.

Wigan exploded into life with five tries in the opening 15 minutes, with Matty Smith converting the first four, as they opened up a 28-point lead.

A great pass from Smith set up Crosby to go over for his second try in as many weeks, after scoring his first for two years against Wakefield a week ago.

Hull KR suffer at hands of Wigan
Hull KR's worst ever defeat came against Wigan, losing 84-6 at home in April 2013.

Williams offloaded for Burgess to run in for his 11th try of the season and Farrell burst through for Wigan's third.

Winger Burgess then found space on the left to score after receiving a pass from Farrell, while Tomkins went over after a great offload from Sarginson in the build-up.

A forward pass denied Burgess a first-half hat-trick, but a clever dummy from Williams saw the half-back ease in for Wigan's sixth try and Smith successful kick took his personal tally to 10 points after just 21 minutes.

A super catch from Burgess was the catalyst for the home side's first try of the second half, as Farrell then fed Sarginson.

Smith put a conversion wide after Manfredi had twisted his way over, but he kicked the hosts to their 50th point when Tautai charged over.

Williams left a trail of Hull KR players behind in scoring his second before Burgess completed his second successive treble.

Wigan remain third in the Super League table, a point behind second-placed St Helens, who beat Wakefield.

Wigan Warriors coach Shaun Wane:

"It was good performance, we were clinical. We worked our on defence this week and we defended tough and strong and forced errors on them, which is very satisfying.

"They were a bit busted but I thought we were very professional. I asked the players to be relentless and they were. Even in the last 15 minutes they were forcing errors.

"I know our outside backs (were) scoring tries but I thought our middles were superb. It was just good ruby league."

Hull KR coach Chris Chester:

"It was men against boys for 80 minutes. There were too many blokes feeling sorry for themselves because we lost a few players and too many players waved the white flag.

"We've got to dust ourselves down because we've another tough game next Thursday night.

"There's a good team spirit within the group. At times like this, we've got to stick together and we will do."

Wigan Warriors: Hampshire; Manfredi, J. Tomkins, Sarginson, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Crosby, McIlorum, Flower, L. Farrell, Bateman, Patrick.

Replacements: Powell, Clubb, Tautai, Sutton.

Hull KR: Dixon; Cockayne, Welham, Horne, Sio; Blair, Kelly; Walker, Boudebza, Burke, Guzdek, McCarthy, Donaldson.

Replacements: Green, Ollett, Robinson, Esslemont.

Referee: Phil Bentham

Attendance: 11,468