Super League: Castleford Tigers 20-14 Hull FC

Tom Lineham
Despite Tom Lineham's three tries, Hull FC could not overcome Castleford Tigers
Castleford Tigers (6) 20
Tries: Gale 2, Carney, Clare Goals: Gale 2
Hull FC (4) 14
Tries: Lineham 3 Goal: Sneyd

Castleford Tigers survived a Tom Lineham hat-trick to seal their second successive Super League victory in a closely-matched encounter with Hull FC.

In a tight first half, tries from Luke Gale and Lineham were only separated when Marc Sneyd failed to convert, meaning Castleford led 6-4.

Gale scored his second try soon after the restart before the visitors mounted an exciting fightback.

Despite Lineham getting his third try, Justin Carney and James Clare won it.

Hull FC were without head coach Lee Radford who missed the game due to illness, with assistant coach Andy Last overseeing the team.

Gale opened the scoring for the hosts after a clever offload from Grant Millington allowed the half-back to score.

Lineham took the ball into the corner after Mark Minichiello worked the ball to Steve Michaels, who fed the onrushing Hull winger to reply.

Castleford got the second half off to the perfect start when a break by replacement prop Andy Lynch allowed Gale to cross for his second try of the match.

But Lineham soon got Hull back in it when he touched down after a long ball from Danny Houghton, although Sneyd missed a second kick at goal against the club where he was on loan last season.

Lineham completed his hat-trick when he latched onto a lovely pass from Sneyd, who converted at the third attempt.

Carney demolished the Hull defence as he barged Lineham out of the way to make it 16-14 to the hosts.

And Cas were out of sight late in the second half when Clare capitalised after Fetuli Talanoa mishandled Gale's crossfield kick.

Castleford coach Daryl Powell:

"We were under intense pressure - we gave a lot of penalties away in the first half which just invited Hull onto our line - and we just dug deep so often.

"Our scrambling defence was superb and the commitment to keep Hull out was outstanding.

"We didn't play that well with the ball and were never at our best, but the boys were great. For commitment and effort you'd give them 10 out of 10, but for our game we were five out of 10. I'm delighted we got the win, a crucial one for us."

Hull FC assistant coach Andy Last said:

"It was a really close game.

"It's been the story of mine and Lee's tenure in charge - we were competitive, played for 80 minutes but can't quite get over the line in these games.

"The shape of the team had to change when Marc Sneyd went off, but we didn't quite create enough scoring opportunities against a really good defensive side on their try line."

Castleford: Tansey; Clare, Gibson, Shenton, Carney; Finn, Gale; Millington, Milner, Moors, O. Holmes, Webster, Wheeldon.

Replacements: Roberts, Lynch, McMeeken, Crossley.

Hull: Rankin; Lineham, Michaels, Logan, Talanoa; Pryce, Sneyd; Paea, Houghton, Watts, Thompson, Minichiello, Westerman.

Replacements: Hadley, Green, Bowden, Howarth.

Referee: Matthew Thomason

Attendance: 8,744