Super League: Salford Red Devils 36-8 Widnes Vikings

By Nathan MiddletonBBC Sport at AJ Bell Stadium
Salford Red Devils
Salford's seven tries were scored by seven different players
First Utility Super League
Salford Red Devils (16) 36
Tries: Bishop, Hauraki, Johnson, Tasi, J Griffin, Paterson, Taylor Goals: J Griffin 4
Widnes Vikings (8) 8
Try: Flynn Goals: Owens 2

Salford ran in seven tries to cap a dominant performance in their Super League win over Widnes.

Ben Jones-Bishop, Weller Hauraki and Greg Johnson went over for Salford for a 16-8 lead at the break, with Paddy Flynn crossing for the visitors.

Lama Tasi, Josh Griffin, Cory Paterson and Scott Taylor added further scores in the second half.

The Red Devils have won three of their four home games so far and move up to fourth in the league.

The hosts took the lead inside the first few minutes when Jones-Bishop touched down Rangi Chase's well-weighted kick - his fifth try in five games.

New Zealand forward Hauraki gathered Michael Dobson's grubber and, after Stefan Marsh was sent to the sin-bin, the Red Devils scored a third out wide as Johnson went over.

Cory Paterson
Salford's Cory Paterson crossed in the second half

Despite the man disadvantage, the Vikings responded as winger Flynn finished well and then Owens added a penalty before the interval.

Salford prop Tasi took a good line from Chase's inside ball to score his first try of the season, before Josh Griffin crashed over from short range.

Another Dobson kick was caught and put down by Paterson and then Taylor bulldozed over.

Salford have now lost just once in their last five games, while Widnes - who had a four-day turnaround from their last match - struggled for try-scoring opportunities and have yet to pick up a point away from home this year.

Salford head coach Iestyn Harris:

"I thought we worked extremely hard for each other, better than we've done so far this season.

"The players looked like they enjoyed it at the back end of the game and that's important that you do enjoy it.

"There are some tough games around the corner but you've just got to try and improve each week. To be sat in fourth after the difficult start we've had is pleasing."

Widnes head coach Denis Betts:

"I think we got beaten across the board. We were dogged and determined in the first half and at 16-8 at half time, we've had to fight with no field position."

"It just drained our energy with the short turnaround and you could see it in the second-half as the lads looked flat.

"Salford just grew. Their energy grew and we were at sixes and sevens at times."

Salford: Locke; Jones-Bishop, J. Griffin, Caton-Brown, Johnson; Chase, Dobson; Taylor, Lee, Morley, Hauraki, Paterson, Hansen.

Replacements: Tasi, D. Griffin, Hood, Forster.

Widnes: Hanbury; Flynn, Marsh, Phelps, Owens; Heremaia, Mellor; Dudson, O'Carroll, Gerrard, Dean, Clarkson, Leuluai.

Replacements: Gore, Manuokafoa, Kavanagh, Joseph.

Sin-bin: Marsh (30)

Referee: Ben Thaler

Attendance: 3,486