Super League: Salford Red Devils 32-28 Hull FC

Rangi Chase
Rangi Chase set up both of Josh Griffin's tries with sleight of hand
Salford Red Devils (16) 32
Tries: Evalds 2, Fages, J. Griffin 2, Sa'u Goals: J. Griffin 4
Hull FC (14) 28
Tries: Rankin, Thompson 2, Sa, Lineham Goals: Sneyd 4

Half-back Rangi Chase's creativity inspired Salford Red Devils to their first win of the Super League season against Hull FC.

Salford led 16-14 at half-time, through tries from Niall Evalds (2) and Theo Fages. Hull replied via Jordan Rankin, Jordan Thompson and Marc Sneyd's goal.

Setaimata Sa put Hull in front for the first time shortly in the second half.

However, two Josh Griffin tries to add to one from Junior Sa'u ensured Hull's late rally was in vain.

The only sour note of an open game came when Mason Caton-Brown was taken off on a stretcher early in the second half after a big hit from Hull second-rower Mark Minichello.

After a hammering by St Helens in their last home fixture, the Red Devils were far more competitive, troubling a Hull side that had conceded only one try in their first two games.

A strong tackle from Sa'u in the opening phases set the tone, and Jordan Walne's line break set up Evalds for the Red Devils' opening score on the following set.

Mason Caton-Brown
Mason Caton-Brown's exit on a stretcher was a sour note on a night of exciting rugby league

Soon afterwards, an offload from Salford's Weller Hauraki found Tommy Lee, who released Fages to slide over.

The home side showed their defensive mettle, resisting the Airlie Birds' pressure, although Rankin eventually crossed after Leon Pryce and Marc Sneyd combined.

Evalds took Chase's pass on a glorious line to cross for his second after a penalty against Hull but a fourth try before half-time was denied when Tim Roby chalked off a Lee score for a knock-on.

Salford's Adrian Morley went to the sin-bin and the visitors took advantage when Thompson's footwork took him over at the end of a free-scoring first period.

The second-half, punctuated by the injury to Caton-Brown, continued the rapid-fire scoring pattern, and Hull moved ahead for the first time when Sa capitalised on a ricochet off Chase to cross the line.

The lead did not last long as Chase twice teed up Griffin with sumptuous passes to restore the hosts' advantage.

And once Sa'u crashed over, not even another Thompson touchdown and Lineham's try could prevent Salford recording a first win of the season for coach Iestyn Harris.

Salford Red Devils head coach Iestyn Harris:

"Rangi was superb and when he's in that sort of form he's world class. He created opportunities for himself and others round him to make the opponents nervous.

"It doesn't surprise me because I see him do it every day at training. He can win games and he did exactly that tonight.

"We had four of five players out and then had to reshuffle when Niall and Mason went off. It wasn't pretty at times but the result was very pleasing because Hull are a good team."

Hull FC coach Lee Radford:

"We did not start well enough. We knew Salford would come out all guns blazing but they caught us by surprise and I don't know why.

"We didn't turn up and clocked off and it's hugely disappointing.

"There aren't enough hours in the day to practice defending against Rangi Chase."

Salford Red Devils: Evalds; Caton-Brown, J. Griffin, Sa'u, Johnson; Chase, Fages; Taylor, Lee, Tasi, Hansen, Hauraki, J. Walne.

Replacements: Morley, D. Griffin, Hood, A. Walne.

Hull: Rankin; Lineham, Sa, Yeaman, Talanoa; Pryce, Sneyd; Paea, Houghton, Watts, Hadley, Minichiello, Westerman.

Replacements: Green, Thompson, Whiting, Cunningham.

Referee: Tim Roby (RFL).

Theo Fages
Theo Fages scored for Salford early on in the first half

Top Stories