Super League: Hull FC 6-7 Warrington Wolves

Warrington Wolves
Warrington face St George Illawarra in the World Club Challenge next week
Hull FC (0) 6
Try: Lineham Goal: Sneyd
Warrington Wolves (7) 7
Try: Clark Goal: O'Brien Drop-goal: O'Brien

Warrington made it two wins from two at the start of the 2015 Super League campaign at the expense of Hull FC.

The visitors led 7-0 at the break thanks to a try from Daryl Clark and a goal and drop-goal from Gareth O'Brien.

The hosts responded after half-time, Tom Lineham catching a Marc Sneyd kick to touch down before Sneyd added the extras to reduce the gap to one point.

Sneyd went close with a drop-goal attempt that would have levelled the match but the Wire held on.

Like Warrington, Hull were hoping to post a second win in two outings but were unable to overhaul their half-time deficit.

After the visitors had lost Stefan Ratchford to injury in the early stages, Clark put them in front with his first points since joining from Castleford at the end of last season.

The England international hooker and reigning Man of Steel darted through a gap and ran in from 30 yards for the game's first try.

O'Brien's one-pointer just before the interval gave Warrington a handy lead, which they defended resolutely in the second period under strong Hull pressure.

Lineham, who produced a superb tackle to deny Wolves centre Ryan Atkins a match-clinching score, twice came close to tries before finally going over, latching onto Sneyd's chipped kick to touch down in the corner.

Sneyd converted expertly from the touchline but he was unable to force a draw for his team, as his drop-goal effort fell well off target.

Victory gave Tony Smith's Warrington the perfect fillip heading into their World Club Series tie with NRL side St George on 20 February.

Hull FC head coach Lee Radford:

"I'm encouraged for sure, as if you're going to lose, that's how to lose.

"It's one of the worst build-ups I've had as we've been pulled to pieces with injury and sickness.

"We chased the game, some of the stuff didn't come off but that's the way to do it. I thought all the players were really admirable.

"We were coming off a four-day turnaround. I was really pleased that we had some squad players come in and show they can be relied on."

Warrington Wolves head coach Tony Smith:

"It was a battle. Whether we got the points or not we were pleased with the efforts. It can be as tight as that some days.

"Defence was the topic of the day and both teams were outstanding. That we get the points is an extra bonus. Both teams have to be commended.

"Stefan [Ratchford] got a stinger on his shoulder and we decided not to risk it.

"But we had lots of positives, including Kevin Penny who was outstanding and that was recognised by his team-mates in the dressing room afterwards. He did a great job for us."

Hull FC: Shaul; Lineham, Whiting, Yeaman, Michaels; Pryce, Sneyd; Paea, Houghton, Watts, Hadley, Minichiello, Westerman.

Replacements: Green, Bowden, Thompson, Cunningham.

Warrington: Ratchford; R. Evans, Atkins, Monaghan, Penny; O'Brien, Myler; Hill, Clark, Sims, Currie, Laithwaite, Westwood.

Replacements: Higham, Harrison, B. Evans, Wheeler.

Referee: Phil Bentham (RFL)

Top Stories