Super League: Widnes Vikings 6-56 Hull FC

Callum Lancaster
Lancaster took his tally for the Super League season to five tries

Hull FC teenager Callum Lancaster and full-back Jamie Shaul both claimed hat-tricks as Hull FC demolished Challenge Cup semi-finalists Widnes.

Tries by Lancaster and Mickey Paea sent Hull into the break 14-6 ahead after a frenetic first half, which began with a try from Widnes winger Paddy Flynn.

Wing Lancaster, Jamie Shaul and Richard Horne then went in for rampant Hull.

Jordan Rankin got a try of his own, to go with his 10 goals, before a third from Lancaster and Shaul's late two.

Hull climb up to ninth, at the expense of city rivals Hull KR, while Widnes, whose defeat comes off the back of beating Keighley in the Challenge Cup quarter-final last weekend, currently lie in seventh.

Flynn, back after a two-match suspension for sustained punching, broke the deadlock with the first opportunity of the game after a nice pass out from Rhys Hanbury, before Danny Tickle kicked over the extras.

But Hull responded almost immediately when Lancaster went round the outside to score in the corner, before Paea burst through from the short ball and beat Hanbury.

In a worrying moment midway through the first half, Vikings' Stefan Marsh had to leave the field on a stretcher in a neck brace following a clash with Gareth Edwards.

Rankin put that out of his mind to add two more points with a 36th-minute penalty before Tickle also attempted a kick from the halfway line which went just wide.

After the break, 17-year-old Lancaster strode away from the Widnes defence after being put in by Shaul, before he himself was put in by Fetuli Talanoa.

Horne and Rankin then crossed in quick succession to take the game completely away for the hosts, before the former set in Lancaster for his first career hat-trick.

Shaul then completed proceedings with two late tries, the second of them when he was put in after great work by Ben Crooks, to take his tally to 11 for the season.

Widnes boss Denis Betts:

"The game is built on basics and we didn't do them well at all.

"It was a very disappointing performance and not like us. We've got a big week ahead now to put that right."

"Losing Stefan Marsh was a tough blow but, all in all, there's not a lot to say."

Hull FC coach Lee Radford:

"It was a great performance. We started the second half really well and they have responded excellently to what I've asked them.

"It's a tough place to come and win. They are in form and have some great players but we got the job done well.

"It's massive for our confidence and we have come away with a clean bill of health. I've seen the confidence coming on and it showed again tonight."

Widnes: Hanbury; Owens, Dean, Marsh, Flynn; Brown, Gilmore; Johnson, Clarke, Kavanagh, Tickle, Galea, Leuluai.

Replacements: Allen, Joseph, White, Cahill.

Hull FC: Shaul; Talanoa, Crooks, Yeaman, Lancaster; Horne, Rankin; Paea, Houghton, Watts, Ellis, Tuson, Westerman.

Replacements: Paleaaesina, Heremaia, Thompson, Sa.

Attendance: 5,014

Referee: Matthew Thomason (RFL).