Huddersfield 24-10 Hull FC

Danny Brough

Super League leaders Huddersfield had to dig deep as they came from behind to beat Hull FC and extend their lead at the top to three points.

Hull threatened to inflict a second consecutive home defeat on the leaders when they led 10-6 early in the second half after Ben Crooks' try, to match Ben Galea's first-half effort.

But the Giants rallied well to claim their sixth win in seven matches.

Aaron Murphy, Joe Wardle and Scott Grix added to Shaun Lunt's first-half try.

Giants were without forward Jason Chan, who could be out for two months with a knee injury sustained in last Friday night's 32-8 win at Leeds.

Hull were without three members of the side that demolished Castleford 52-0 last weekend, forward Danny Tickle having been suspended following his sending off.

Huddersfield dominated the opening quarter but only had hooker Lunt's opportunist try to show for their efforts after he dummied his way past a sprawling Chris Green.

But Hull responded when second-rower Galea took Danny Houghton's short pass on the burst to crash throug and Holdsworth's conversion attempt rebounded off an upright.

Hull thought they had scored again five minutes before half-time when centre Crooks touched down a Holdsworth kick.

Referee Phil Bentham initially disallowed the try for offside before handing over the decision to video official Richard Silverwood, who ruled a knock-on by Crooks.

There was no denying Crooks five minutes into the second half when he followed up a grubber kick by full-back Shannon McDonnell to touch down after the bounce of the ball deceived Huddersfield defender Jermaine McGillvary, but the lead was short-lived.

Murphy scored in the corner after centre Wardle had cleverly flicked on Brough's cut-out pass.

They then extended their lead after 65 minutes when Wardle finished off the best move of the match, breaking out of his own half and taking a return pass to touch down for his side's third try.

Brough was off target for the first time with the attempted conversion, making amends five minutes later with a 40-metre penalty to put his side two scores in front.

Hull battled to the end, having a try from England winger Tom Briscoe disallowed for a forward pass before Leroy Cudjoe broke away to send full-back Grix over for the game's final try.


Huddersfield Giants coach Paul Anderson:

"We're finding ways to win games at the moment. There is a lot of improvement in us.

"We weren't the most cohesive. It was a real tough game. Both teams came prepared to trade sets in the arm wrestle.

"I thought Hull had the better field position and more attacking kicks but I can't fault our collective resolve to find something special to beat a good team.

"The score probably blew out a bit at the end. As a spectacle it was probably not the best but it was real physical - that's rugby league."

Hull coach Peter Gentle:

"Six players had fitness tests. Five passed and one didn't. I was very pleased with our effort, although our execution left something to be desired at times.

"We didn't give ourselves a chance in the first half. We were a bit shellshocked - but we looked dangerous when we got into the game and, with a bit of luck, we could have got closer or even won.

"There are no panic stations yet. Huddersfield are a very good team. They're leading this competition for a reason and we weren't far off.

"We had a few young blokes out there and they will be better for the experience. There were plenty of pluses to come out of it."


Huddersfield: Grix; McGillvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, Murphy; Brough, Robinson; Crabtree, Lunt, Fielden, Ferres, Ferguson, Faiumu.

Replacements: Kopczak, Patrick, Ta'ai, Cording.

Hull: McDonnell; Lineham, Arundel, Crooks, Briscoe; Holdsworth, Horne; O'Meley, Houghton, Lynch, Galea, Westerman, Watts.

Replacements: Whiting, Pitts, Bowden, Green.

Attendance: 5,536.

Referee: Phil Bentham (Warrington).

Top Stories