Huddersfield Giants 22-4 Hull FC

Eorl Crabtree
Eorl Crabtree's second-half try was vital for the league leading Giants.

Super League leaders Huddersfield ended Hull FC's run of six straight wins in a hard-fought battle of the top two.

An error-strewn first half saw the home team dominate possession but, although Danny Tickle and Danny Brough exchanged penalties, the Giants could not break down Hull's determined defence.

Tickle kicked Hull back in front after the break, but Eorl Crabtree crashed over from short range on the hour mark.

Luke Robinson and Joe Wardle crossed to make the game safe for the Giants.

The final score was harsh on Hull but they will have a chance to quickly gain their revenge when the sides meet again in the Challenge Cup at the KC Stadium on Sunday.

Both teams looked jaded playing their second Super League game in four days, and injuries caused early further disruption.

Huddersfield lost former Hull hooker Tommy Lee with a knee problem after only two minutes and Hull's ex-Huddersfield second rower Martin Aspinwall went off with a similar injury midway through the first half.

A series of handling mistakes in the wet conditions prevented either side from finding any fluency, making for a scrappy first half.

Hull lived dangerously in the second half, surviving a scare when Brett Seymour lost the ball in Robinson's tackle 20 metres out from his own line only for Scott Grix to kick the ball dead.

Grix then broke clear but Seymour and Danny Houghton combined to hold him up over the line and it was against the run of play that Hull came up with the next score.

Willie Manu was obstructed as he chased his own kick on the last tackle and Tickle stepped up to kick his second goal.

But it was no surprise when Huddersfield went in front for the first time, Crabtree powering his way through a tiring Hull defence on 61 minutes.

Robinson then forced his way over from dummy-half before Brough broke clear for centre Wardle to touch down.


Huddersfield coach Nathan Brown:

"We played the side in second and to not let them score a try was terrific. They've got some really good attacking players and to be able to shut them down was pleasing.

"We expected and got a tough game. It was an ugly win. There were a lot of tired players.

"I thought Danny Brough was the stand-out player on the field. He had a great all-round game. He ticked all the boxes."

Hull coach Peter Gentle:

"We were out on our feet in the end. The conditions didn't really suit either of us and it was a scrappy game.

"We're much better than we showed today. We wouldn't normally concede those soft tries. They played field position pretty well against us and wore us down.

"Backing up on Monday is tough on the boys. I know every side has to do it but I just can't see the value in it. It was a slow and messy game."


Huddersfield: Eden; Murphy, Cudjoe, Wardle, McGillvary; Brough, Grix; Mason, Lee, Fa'alogo, Lawrence, Molloy, Brown.

Replacements: Patrick, Chan, Crabtree, Robinson.

Hull FC: McKinnon; Sharp, Turner, Yeaman, Briscoe; Ellis, Seymour; Radford, Houghton, Lynch, Manu, Tickle, Whiting.

Replacements: Bowden, Aspinwall, Pitts, Kent.

Attendance: 9,950.

Referee: James Child (Dewsbury).

Top Stories