Workington coach Gary Charlton frustrated after brawl

Scott Kaighan
Town half-back Kaighan was sent to the sin-bin after he received a yellow card

Workington Town hammered Gateshead Thunder 84-12 in Sunday's ill-tempered Championship One game that was marred by a string of brawls at Derwent Park.

Town half-back Scott Kaighan was sent to the sin-bin for his role in the melee, while Gateshead had Mitchell Stevens red-carded.

"I don't condone anything like that," head coach Gary Charlton told BBC Radio Cumbria.

"It's not good, we're hoping not to have players banned."

Charlton added: "You go out there, you get stuck into each other and afterwards you shake hands."

Four tries from Elliott Miller and a Stephen Dawes hat-trick were among the 14 touchdowns for Town, who also had Darren Holt's 100% record with the boot to thank for 28 of the points.

"Elliott's a good player, a young lad like most of our backs, they're a young bunch who love scoring tries,"

"There were some great tries scored considering the weather, the fellows completed their sets and asked a few questions."

Meanwhile Barrow lost ground on their Championship rivals with a 10-6 defeat by Batley, who climbed to second place in the table after the victory.

Anthony Blackwood
Blackwood scored on his return for Barrow at Batley

Raiders remain fifth, three points behind Sheffield but have lost six games, more than any other club in the top half of the table.

Anthony Blackwood ran in a try on his return to the club that was converted by Jamie Rooney, but two penalties converted by Batley half-back Paul Handford were enough to edge the home side to the points.

"It was monumental, and that goes for the Batley players too," Wright said.

"It was a real physical game, I don't think either side deserved to lose, it was one of those games you could have continued to watch for another 20 minutes.

"Both sides gave everything but we didn't quite get there."

Barrow have struggled with injuries at times this season, and lost second-row Martin Ostler early on in Sunday's defeat with a hand injury on a soggy afternoon in west Yorkshire.

"There will be a few injuries, it's the case when the weather is like that Martin didn't come back on, he's done a tendon in his finger," Wright added.

"Zeb Luisi got a dead leg and Gary Broadbent carried his knock through."

Top Stories