Warrington Wolves 62-0 Castleford Tigers

Hodgson Mathers
Brett Hodgson runs into former Warrington full-back Richie Mathers

Rampant Warrington consolidated their place at the top of Super League as they destroyed title rivals Castleford.

Tony Smith's men ran in 11 tries at the Halliwell Jones as they made the most of Cas's poor recent form.

Lee Briers, Aussie winger Matt King and forward Simon Grix ran in two tries apiece as injury-hit Cas were 'nilled' for the first time in 13 months.

Gareth O'Brien, Brett Hodgson (seven goals), Mickey Higham, David Solomona and Joel Monaghan all crossed too.

It was the third time in five matches that Warrington have 'nilled' their opponents and the sixth time they have topped 50 points.

But Cas are now without a Super League win in over a month after suffering a fourth straight defeat.

Warrington welcomed back Hodgson, Joel Monaghan, Chris Bridge, Louis Anderson and Ben Westwood, all rested from the side that defeated Keighley 80-0 in the Challenge Cup last weekend.

But 19-year-old O'Brien retained his place in the starting line-up, marking his Super League debut with a try.

And the only blot for a Wolves side still without long-term casualties Richie Myler and Ben Harrison was a late injury to 33-year-old Hodgson, who pulled up holding his lower back.

For Cas, already missing key men Willie Isa, Craig Huby and Nick Youngquest, the night started badly.

The visitors suffered a pre-match blow when prop Paul Jackson sustained a back injury in the warm-up which saw Nathan Massey take his place in the starting line-up in a late reshuffle and Oliver Holmes added to the bench.

Warrington then got off to a dream start as they raced into an early 10-0 lead after just seven minutes, sparked by O'Brien dummying his way over.

Four minutes later, Cas prop Nick Fozzard failed to keep hold and Briers touched down.

Then Warrington grabbed their third try after 16 minutes when the lively O'Brien and Hodgson combined to give King a simple walk-in try in the corner.

The evening got even better for the home side when O'Brien's kick was collected by King, who then passed back inside to the teenager who kicked ahead again and Hodgson raced through the Tigers defence to touch down, adding his own conversion as part of his haul of seven from nine attempts.

Briers grabbed his second try three minutes before half-time when his neat grubber kick rebounded back off the posts into his hands. And it took just six minutes into the second half for normal service to be resumed when Hodgson's break allowed Grix to touch down.

The Warrington loose forward then made it a quickfire double before the procession of tries continued with King claming his second, Higham, Solomona and the prolific Monaghan also crossing the whitewash.


Warrington coach Tony Smith:

"I really like what we do with the ball. We play some good rugby league which is entertaining and great for the supporters, which is important.

"But I liked the fact that, with 30 seconds to go, the players were trying their hardest from keeping their opponents from scoring and that's the name of the game as well.

"Attack is really important but to keep your opponent on zero is also the other aspect of the game and I was really pleased with that."

Castleford coach Terry Matterson:

"The losing part doesn't bother me because you are not going to win every game, but it's how you lose and I'm embarrassed and so are the players.

"We are in a really bad place at the moment but we have been here before. I have been at the club for five years and have had some tough days so I'm not totally downhearted, although I'm massively disappointed.

"We are a better side than we showed tonight. Although we have lost four in a row, we were wonderful at St Helens and were 24-4 up at Wakefield. Obviously, confidence goes but it's fallen away quickly over the last two games."


Warrington: Hodgson; J Monaghan, Bridge, Atkins, King; Briers, O'Brien; Morley, Carvell, M Monaghan, Anderson, Westwood, Grix.

Replacements: Higham. Wood, Cooper, Solomona.

Castleford: Mathers; Dixon, Arundel, McGoldrick, Owen; Chase, Orr; Massey, Fozzard, Hudson, Jones, Aspinwall, Ferres.

Replacements: Emmitt, Milner, Holmes, Widders.

Attendance: 9,958.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens).

Top Stories