It's another painful night for Aberdeen and Scottish football in continental competition. Once again, Celtic are our sole remaining representatives in Europe. Hibernian, Hearts and now Aberdeen have been knocked out of the Europa League before the domestic league campaign kicks off. It's a sore one for the Reds but it takes no genius to know you have to take your chances when they come your way. Thanks very much for your contributions this evening and for logging on to BBC Scotland's coverage. All the best.
- Dons concede freak injury-time goal
- Rooney penalty for Dons saved
- Keeper Handanovic booked for conceding spot-kick
- Sub Stockley sent off for Aberdeen
Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes: "Football is a contact sport. Right from the outset the referee blew his whistle at the slightest contact. Stockley has used his arm for leverage. The referee was very quick to blow for the penalty kick. You could say the Rooney penalty was defining but the officials played the defining role in all the decisions tonight. The goalkeeper was out of his goal. He was too quick to blow his whistle. The goal should stand.
"Credit to Maribor. It was a difficult evening for Maribor, given the circumstances. I thought the result was very hard on my team. Over the two games we deserved more.
"I wasn't against the decision (not to send the goalie off) but I thought the referee was too quick to blow his whistle (when McGinn subsequently scored). It's harsh to apportion blame to Adam. The away goal last week was going to be pivotal. We kept a good Maribor team at arm's length. I don't think they really cut us open too much. The resilience from Shinnie and Jack, Reynolds and Taylor... I thought my players did very well to keep going."
- SMS Message: "Well well well I said it the last round that the writing was on the wall and so I was proved right! Shocking ref tonight but we only have ourselves to blame! Quite content being slightly better than some of the teams in Scotland but not really interested in improving to compete in Europe! Willie miller quotes Maribor were dreadful... So what does that say about us and Scottish football???" from Gary Wilson
We're just waiting to hear from the Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes.
"Whether it was for a flailing arm or talking back, Jayden Stockley has given the referee a decision to make, and you don't do that when you're away in Europe and it's not a British referee."
BBC Scotland reporter Richard Wilson
"I can't fault any of the players. In the middle of the park they absolutely bossed it. Adam Rooney will be disappointed. Normally he is ruthless with penalties, he is so accurate. He chose to go down the middle and he'll be kicking himself. It was a silly second booking for Stockley - I think it was for talking back to the referee. To end the way it did, I couldn't fault Joe Lewis, there was nothing he could do about it."
Former Aberdeen midfielder Stuart Duff
- SMS Message: "Don't worry Celtic will fly the flag AGAIN for Scotland in Europe, well done all the other teams for helping Scotland's coefficient, oh it's the referee's fault, and I wonder if the keeper will get lambasted the way you lot lambast Efe Ambrose." from Davie Wilson, East KilbrideSMS Message: "It's simple to see!! Our big players bottle it AGAIN - McGinn & Rooney - Fair to say dodgy ref but still..." from Danny from Blair AthollSMS Message: "@BBCSportScot what an ending, following a poor pen decision by ref, goal should have stood according to rules and goalie sent off." from JMEF7SMS Message: "@BBCSportScot Dons just didn't turn up & that's simply why they'll finish 3rd in Prem in upcoming season." from 99bln_Galleons
I think Willie did say Stockley was inexperienced in European football.SMS Message: "Tell Willie Miller that 'inexperienced' Stockley played 122 senior games before signing for Aberdeen." from Anonymous
"If you don't take your chances in Europe, invariable you pay the price. Aberdeen should be in to the next round. They really only have themselves to blame."
Former Aberdeen manager Willie Miller
"Stockley was well warned about his elbow when he got the first yellow card. From then on it was a huge task. I still thought they might do it because Maribor were just dreadful, especially in the first half. But the referee has made two very poor decisions and Aberdeen are out. Stockley thinks he's done nothing wrong but the arm went up."
Former Aberdeen manager Willie Miller
Aberdeen have been knocked out of the Europa League in the third qualifying round for the third year in a row. They had to score tonight and, however tough it is to take, they failed to do so. The ending was truly astonishing, with the loss of a crazy goal, the ball bouncing over Joe Lewis's boot.
Maribor have taken the lead through a freak goal. Graeme Shinnie's pass-back bobbled on the six-yard line just as Dons keeper Joe Lewis tried to boot it clear. The ball bounced over the goalie's foot and trundled into the net. Unbelievable!
This is tough on Aberdeen. They have run themselves into the ground and are having to play with 10 men in the evening heat after Jayden Stockley's red card.
There are five minutes of added time to be played.
Aberdeen are pushing hard to find the net. Come on!
Aberdeen's Graeme Shinnie battles in midfield and does enough to win the ball and shoot. However, he looks so exhausted that there was just no venom in his effort.