Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Get in touch using #bbcsportsday or text 81111
  2. Twelve-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic will not play again for the rest of 2017
  3. Spurs chairman says Premier League spending 'unsustainable'
  4. Man City have no intention to pay prices quoted for Mbappe
  5. Gossip: Barcelona 'continue pursuit' of Liverpool's Coutinho

Live Reporting

By Mike Henson and Libby Dawes

All times stated are UK

Get involved

  1. Post update

    That's all from us for today.

    Thanks for joining us and don't forget to tune into the World Swimming Championships live on BBC Two from 16:30 BST where swimming's own Messi, Adam Peaty goes for further success in the men's 50m breaststroke final.

    Will he break his own world record for the third time in two days?

  2. Mbappe in talks over contract extension

    Kylian Mbappe

    Monaco are in talks with Kylian Mbappe over a contract extension for the 18-year-old striker, says the French club's vice-president.

    Mbappe, one of the most sought-after talents in football, has been strongly linked with a move to Real Madrid.

    Manchester City have also been linked, but BBC Sport understands the club are reluctant to pay the reported 180m euro (£160m) asking price.

    Vadim Vasilyev said Monaco have had several "serious" enquiries.

    But he added: "We are in discussions over a contract extension with Kylian and we hope to reach an agreement."

  3. Post update

    Koeman also confirmed Phil Jagielka will remain Everton captain despite former England captain Wayne Rooney joining the squad.

    "Gareth Barry is the second captain and Leyton Baines is the third captain", he said with a wry smile as if to say, 'soz Wayne'....

    Phil Jagielka
  4. 'I 100% expect Barkley to leave' - Koeman

    Ross Barkley

    Everton midfielder Ross Barkley is "looking for a new challenge" and is expected to leave the club, says manager Ronald Koeman.

    Barkley, 23, has one year left on his contract but has failed to sign a new deal.

    He was given an ultimatum by Koeman to extend his stay at the Merseyside club or be sold.

    Koeman also said on Wednesday he was still interested in Swansea City midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.

  5. One more striker?

    Everton have so far signed four players in this transfer window - Rooney, Michael Keane, Sandro Ramirez and Cuco Martina.

    "I am really happy with how the new players have adapted to the new team. We've signed some very good players with great experience which has made the team stronger.

    "It also gives the squad more competition which they need."

    Asked if the squad is complete for the new season, he says, "I hope not..."

  6. Rooney's return was an easy decision - Koeman

    Wayne ROoney

    "We've signed some very good players which has made the team stronger", said Koeman a moment ago.

    This is the first time Koeman has spoken to the press since Wayne Rooney re-signed for his boyhood club.

    "I am really happy with Wayne Rooney. What he showed to me was what we needed. He is used to winning title and that is what we want."

    "To bring his ambition and spirit back in his club made it an easy decision to advise the board to sign him."

  7. Post update

    Everton boss Ronald Koeman has been preparing his squad before they face Ruzomberok in their Europa League qualifying match tomorrow.

    He has been speaking to the press about team news and a bit of transfer gossip...

  8. Djokovic to take six months out

    Tennis

    Novak Djokovic has certainly earned a bit of time off, even it has been forced on him...

  9. Djokovic to take six months out

    Tennis

    Novak Djokovic confirms that he will not be going under the knife during his break from the sport.

  10. 'I firmly believe I will come back stronger'

    Tennis

    Novak Djokovic

    Novak Djokovic has also revealed more about the nature of the elbow injury that has forced him to bring his 2017 season to an early end.

    “My elbow is hurt due to excessive playing, and it troubles me constantly when serving, and now when playing forehand as well," he said.

    "My body has its limits, and I have to respect that and be grateful for all that I have achieved so far.

    "At the beginning of my career I was facing health issues, but during years, and with a lot of patience and dedication, I found a solution. That’s the approach I take to this situation, and I firmly believe that I will come back stronger.”

  11. Watch the moment Djokovic succumbed to injury...

    Tennis

    Here is the moment Novak Djokovic retired from his Wimbledon quarter-final against Tomas Berdych.

    Video content

    Video caption: Djokovic retires due to injury
  12. 'All the specialists agree'

    Tennis

    Novak Djokovic

    “All the doctors I’ve consulted, and all the specialists I have visited, in Serbia and all over the world, have agreed that this injury requires rest," said Novak Djokovic as he announced that he would bring his 2017 season to an early end.

    "A prolonged break from the sport is inevitable. I’ll do whatever it takes to recover. I will use the upcoming period to strengthen my body and also to improve certain tennis elements that I have not been able to work on over the past years, due to a demanding schedule."

  13. Djokovic to miss first major since 2004

    Tennis

    Novak Djokovic's break from tennis is an unusual in a career that has been characterised by consistency as well as success.

  14. BreakingDjokovic out of the remainder of 2017 season

    Tennis

    Novak djokovic

    Novak Djokovic has announced that he will not play for the rest of the 2017 season.

    The 30-year-old suffered a elbow injury that forced his withdrawal from Wimbledon midway through his quarter-final against Tomas Berdych.

    Coach Andre Agassi has committed to stay with the former world number one for the 2018 season, but Djokovic may have dropped out of the top 10 by the time he resumes his career.

  15. Markovic set for Fiorentina move?

    Football

    Lazar Markovic

    Winger Lazar Markovic could be set to leave Liverpool for Fiorentina according to Goal.

    The 23-year-old, who signed from Benfica in July 2014, has failed to make much impact at Anfield, spending time on loan at Fenerbache, Sporting Lisbon and Hull.

    The Reds are said to want £16m for him, with Watford and Leicester also interest

  16. Wilshere wants to stay close to London

    Jack Wilshere

    Tthe Independent say Stevenage-born Jack Wilshere wants to stay close to London if he leaves Arsenal this summer.

    They say West Ham is his preferred destination.

    We wonder what constitutes "close" to London - it can take you a fair old chunk of time to get around parts of London...

  17. Perisic deal possible admit Inter

    Football

    Ivan Perisic

    Inter Milan are reportedly ready to do business with Manchester United over Croatian winger Ivan Perisic.

    Jose Mourinho apparently wants the 28-year-old to add pace and attacking threat to his midfield and Inter counterpart Luciano Spalletti has conceded that a deal might be possible if United get close to their £48m valuation.

    "If someone comes in with a very difficult offer to reject, then we'll consider that, but of course, we'll need to find a valid alternative for Perisic as well," said the Italian in comments reported by the Independent.

  18. Wigan and Hull head down under

    Rugby League

    Win Stadium

    Wigan and Hull will play the first-ever Super League match to be staged outside of Europe, when they meet at the WIN Stadium in Wollongong, Australia on 10 February.

    The teams will meet National Rugby League opposition the following week with Wigan playing South Sydney Rabbitohs and Hull FC meeting St George Illawarra Dragons at ANZ Stadium, Sydney on Saturday 17 February, 2018.

    "We firmly believe that the Wigan and Hull fans will be as excited about this venture as we are," said Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan.

    "We have announced early to allow fans the chance to plan their trip to Australia and, at the same time, to provide clarity on the number of home games for the 2018 season before Season Ticket packages are launched later this year.”

  19. Ben Arfa unwanted in France

    Football

    hatem ben arfa

    Might Hatem Ben Arfa turn up in the Premier League next season?

    The 30-year-old, who had spells at Newcastle and Hull during his time in England, has been told that he is surplus to requirements at Paris St-Germain while Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivere has closed to the door on a possible return to his club.

    "He has a very big salary in Paris, and other European clubs are in better positions to interest him," said Rivere.

    "We were very happy to have him at our place, and it was a beautiful story we shared. However, it is the past and we need to turn the page."