How do I start?
What is netball?
Netball is a seven-a-side game where the aim is to score goals by passing the ball down the court and throwing it in your opponents net. Unlike basketball, players are not allowed to move/run/dribble with the ball. It is all about the passing.
The 2019 Netball World Cup is taking place in Liverpool this summer, with teams from England, Scotland and Northern Ireland competing against the likes of Australia and Jamaica. So there's no better time to get inspired by the top teams and have a go at netball yourself!
Is it for me?
No matter what your fitness level is, there is a position on court for everyone. Netball is a semi-contact sport, so men and woman and boys and girls can all play on the same side. There's also a strong sense of friendship and team-bonding within netball teams.
Take a listen to the Netballers podcast for more insights about all levels of netball.
What to expect when I start?
- Netball is an all over body workout so is great for losing weight and improving muscle tone.
- You don't need any special kit, just clothes that you feel comfortable exercising in and trainers.
- You move through the court by running and jumping so it helps with balance and co-ordination.
- High 5 is a programme for children aged 9-11 that teaches them the rules and basic techniques.
- Walking Netball is growing in popularity and is a low-impact way to play the game with no age limits - younger or older!
- Disability Netball is similar to the traditional game but with a few adaptations such as using a ball with a bell inside for people with visual impairments or installing an induction loop for those who are hearing-impaired. Find your nearest club on Parasport UK.
To get you in the mood…
Are you inspired to try netball? Or maybe you are a keen enthusiast already? Get in touch and tell us your experience of the activity by tweeting us on @bbcgetinspired, visiting us on Facebook or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
All clubs need a chair, secretary and treasurer to help things run smoothly as well as officials, coaches and judges. Whatever role you're interested in, Join In has opportunities to volunteer in your area.