Get Inspired: How to get into cricket
How can I start playing?
Tell me more about cricket
- Cricket is a social sport with many formats. Games can be played ranging from 15 minutes to five days.
- It's a team sport, but the three key elements - batting, bowling, fielding - rely on individual skills.
- Traditionally it's played on a field with 11 players per side but there are many ways to play newer, scintillating styles - within sports halls, local parks, playgrounds and, in some cases, cages.
Who can play?
If you want to play for fun or be right up there challenging for honours, there's a place for everyone. Here are some helpful links to get you started.
- All Stars Cricket - aimed at providing children aged five to eight with a great first experience in cricket.
- Kwik Cricket - focuses on developing skills while having fun.
- Chance 2 Shine - a sports charity that aims to give schoolchildren across the country the chance to play cricket and also brings cricket to thousands of young people in inner-city areas with Street Cricket.
- The Lord's Taverners - provide cricket programmes across the UK. They enable young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and those with disabilities to enjoy sport through programmes such as Table Cricket, Disability Cricket Championships, and Wicketz.
- Women's softball cricket will teach you how to play and the basic skills you need.
- Cage Cricket - an all-action, high-octane version of the sport aimed at giving people living in inner city areas a chance to play the game. Mike Bushell explains it here.
- You can try Sports Coach UK for coaching opportunities across the country. If you want to lend a hand to a club near you, find out about volunteering in England, Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland.
To get you in the mood ...
Are you inspired to try cricket? Or maybe you are an enthusiast already? Get in touch and tell us your story by tweeting us on @bbcgetinspired, visit us on Facebook or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our full list of activity guides for more inspiration.