How do I start?
What is it?
- Badminton is the world's fastest racquet sport, there's a raised net and you can play singles or doubles.
- The aim is to hit a shuttlecock, a cone shaped object usually made of feathers with a cork or rubber base, over the net with your racquet.
- If the shuttlecock lands inside your opponent's half, or if they fail to return it back over the net in the rally, you win the point.
- The first to 21 points will win a game, and a match is a best out of three games.
Is it for me?
Badminton is one of the most played sports in the United Kingdom, with over a million of us taking to the court each month - so, whether you want to play some casual rallies with a pal or have a competitive game, badminton is for anyone. It is an easy sport to pick up, most leisure centres have courts and you can hire racquets and shuttlecocks.
What to expect when I start?
- Competitive badminton is normally played indoors but you can play outdoors for fun, either in your garden or, if the UK ever sees more than a day's sunshine in a year, on the beach.
- You will get an all-round workout as your body will be leaping, lunging, twisting, turning and stretching.
- Badminton improves co-ordination, balance, agility and speed.
- It can also boost self-esteem and help develop communication skills.
- Para-Badminton has a variety of categories and competitions - wheelchair, learning disabilities, physical disabilities (upper and lower body), hearing-impaired disabilities and transplant players. Visit websites in Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. to find out more.
To get you in the mood
Are you inspired to try badminton? Or maybe you are a keen enthusiast already? Get in touch and tell us your experience of the activity by tweeting us on @bbcgetinspired, visiting us on Facebook or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
All clubs need a chair, secretary and treasurer to help things run smoothly as well as officials, coaches and judges. Whatever role you're interested in, Join In has opportunities to volunteer in your area.