Tyrone SFC: Dungannon clinch title with dramatic penalty shootout win over Trillick

Dungannon win first Tyrone title since 1956 with dramatic shootout success

Dungannon Clarkes won their first Tyrone Football title in 64 years as they defeated holders Trillick 8-7 in a dramatic penalty shootout in Omagh.

Ciaran Barker scored the decisive penalty in sudden death after he had earlier missed Dungannon's fifth spot-kick which would have ensured victory.

Trillick led 1-9 to 1-7 late in normal time but Dungannon hit two points to force extra-time at Healy Park.

Dungannon then led by one late in extra-time before Lee Brennan levelled.

Brennan hit 1-7 and also netted twice during the shootout but still ended up on the losing side after the scoreline at the end of extra-time had been 1-12 apiece.

Clarkes need extra-time in all four games

Dungannon's dramatic 11th title triumph rounded off an incredible championship campaign which saw them needing extra-time in all four of their matches.

In the previous round, Barker's last-gasp 45 ensured that their semi-final against Errigal Ciaran did not require penalties.

Barker dedicates shoot-out winner to late childhood friend

Dungannon's hopes looked remote early on as two Brennan frees and his 13th-minute goal put the holders into a 1-2 to 0-0 lead.

The Clarkes didn't open their account until Patrick Molloy pointed in the 22nd minute and they were 1-4 to 0-3 in arrears at half-time.

However, Dungannon dominated the third quarter on the scoresheet as they outscored Trillick 1-4 to 0-1 with Paddy Quinn netting on 39 minutes.

That period of superiority left them 1-7 to 1-5 ahead but their nerve then seemed to fail them as Trillick hit four straight points to lead by two with only two minutes of normal time left.

However, points from Barker and substitute Kiefer Morgan ensured extra-time.

Trillick's Lee Brennan
Lee Brennan ended up on the losing side despite hitting 1-7 and scoring two penalties in the shootout

Points by Brennan and Ciaran Daly put Trillick two up in extra-time but Dungannon fought back to lead after a long-range Quinn score and they were still ahead deep into injury-time time when Brennan's free meant a shootout.

Conor McKee's miss gave Trillick a 3-2 lead in the shootout but Mattie Donnelly was unable to stretch the champions' advantage as his effort was saved by Daire Martin.

After Trillick's Daire Gallagher then hit a post, Barker had a chance to seal victory only to blaze his effort over the bar.

As it went to sudden death, Trillick's Niall Gormley, Brennan and Richie Donnelly all converted second penalties along with Dungannon's Morgan, Lorcan Mallon and Paul Donaghy.

Mattie Donnelly and Dungannon's McKee bravely stepped up again to atone for their earlier misses but a run of eight successful penalties was ended as Daire Gallagher blasted over the crossbar.

That left Barker having a second chance to clinch victory in the shootout and he made no mistake to send his team-mates and the small band of Clarkes supporters at Healy Park into raptures.

Top Stories

Also in NI Sport