All-Ireland qualifiers: Tyrone beat Longford by four points to go through

Cathal McShane
McShane was on target as Tyrone made it through to the third round

Tyrone ran out four-point winners against Longford at Pearse Park to reach the third round of the All-Ireland qualifiers.

Two goals in the opening 16 minutes paved the way for a 2-15 to 1-14 victory for the Red Hand County, who led for most of the game.

The opening goal on nine minutes came from a Cathal McShane shot which went in off home keeper Paddy Collum.

McShane fisted the second six minutes later from a Michael Cassidy pass.

Iarla O'Sullivan grabbed the home side's goal in injury time but it was too late to deny Tyrone a comfortable passage to the next round.

The Red Hands led by 2-7 to 0-5 at the break, with David McGivney converting three Longford frees and Tyrone's Peter Harte finishing the game with nine points.

Daniel Mimnagh's effort in the opening minute was Longford's only score in the opening half,

Tyrone dropped 15 men deep into their own half to stifle the home side's early threat and soon settled in to establish a foothold in the game.

Cassidy and Harte had shot points by the time McShane grabbed his first goal in the ninth minute.

Collum's poor kick-out was picked up by Niall Sludden, who slipped the ball to the full forward. His initial shot was blocked by Barry O'Farrell, but he latched on to the rebound to bundle the ball to the net off the keeper.

David McGivney steered over three frees, but McShane struck again in the 17th minute, punching to the net from Cassidy's long ball.

Longford's offensive threat was comfortably dealt with by Ronan McNamee and Hugh Pat McGeary, and they worked the ball comfortably from deep for McShane to pick off a couple of scores for a 2-7 to 0-5 interval lead.

Longford narrowed the gap through Colm P Smyth and McGivney, but Harte rediscovered his range to pick off four more scores at the other end.

With 10 points separating the sides at the end of the 70 minutes, the home side hit 1-3 in stoppage time, including a goal from substitute O'Sullivan.

Longford: P Collum; P Fox, D McElligot, B O'Farrell; M Quinn (0-2), P McCormack, D Quinn; J Keegan, D McGivney (0-4, 4f); G Rogers, B McKeon (0-2, 1f), C Smyth (0-3); D Mimnagh (0-1), J McGivney, J Hagan (0-1).

Substitutes: A McElligot for Rogers (42), D Doherty for O'Farrell (54), A Farrell for Keegan (56), M Hughes for J McGivney (67), S Kenny (0-1) for Mimnagh (67), I O'Sullivan (1-0) for Hagan (71).

Tyrone: N Morgan; HP McGeary (0-1), R McNamee, M McKernan; M Cassidy (0-1), K McGeary, F Burns; C Cavanagh, B Kennedy; D McClure, N Sludden, P Harte (0-9, 7f); D McCurry, C McShane (2-2), M Donnelly.

Substitutes: B McDonnell (0-2) for Kennedy (h-t), C Meyler for K McGeary (h-t), R Brennan for McKernan (42), K Coney for McClure (54), C McAliskey for McCurry (54), C McCann for Sludden (64).

All-Ireland Football Qualifiers Round Two - Saturday