All-Ireland SFC qualifiers: Down 3-17 2-24 Longford (after extra-time)

Down's Barry O'Hagan attempts to get away from Longford's Cian Farrelly
Down forced extra-time after being four down at half-time at Pairc Esler

Down's dismal season came to an end as they are beaten 2-24 to 3-17 by Longford after extra-time in the All-Ireland Football qualifier at Newry.

Eamonn Burns' side conceded two extra-time to slip to an 11th defeat out of 11 inter-county matches in 2016.

Donal O'Hare kicked 2-9, including an injury-time free, to force extra as it was 3-12 to 0-21 after 70 minutes.

But Longford subs Seamus Hannon and Mark Hughes hit extra time goals to put their side through to Monday's draw.

Longford dominated the first half and bar a breakaway goal from Conor Maginn, Down were well off the pace and lucky to only trail 0-11 to 1-4 at the break with Longford hitting eight first-half wides.

Inspirational captain Mickey Quinn drove them forward and set up numerous scores with Robbie Smyth, James McGivney, Barry McKeon and Diarmuid Masterson all taking stylish points from distance.

Down looked short on confidence, but Maginn's goal brought them back into it after good work from Kevin McKernan, O'Hare and Barry O'Hagan.

The long ball and direct approach was something Down didn't exploit often enough and frequently coughed up possession too easily.

Down came out a different team and O'Hare rattled the net 35 seconds after the restart to set the tone for a much-improved second half.

There was far greater urgency to Down's play and O'Hare slotted home his second goal after 44 minutes to put the home side in front for the first time in over half an hour.

Ryan Mallon and the on-fire O'Hare put Down three points up, but having been outplayed in the second half, Longford somehow found another gear.

Three points from play in two minutes from the inspirational Quinn, Masterson and McGivney saw them draw level, at 3-9 to 0-18 with seven minutes to go.

They made it five in a row through Brian Kavanagh and Masterson to move two ahead but Mallon and sub Sean Dornan levelled it in the 69th minute with extra-time looming.

Quinn's fourth point in the second minute of injury time put Longford in front but after Michael Brady was sent-off for a second yellow, O'Hare equalised for Down taking it to extra-time.

Longford sub Seamus Hannon bagged a goal nine minutes into extra-time to help the visitors lead 1-23 to 3-16 at half-time and Hughes clinched it with an 86th-minute goal.

Down: M Reid; C McGovern, G McGovern, D O'Hagan; D McKibbin, A Carr, D O'Hanlon; P Turley, K McKernan; R Mallon (0-4), M Poland (0-1), J Murphy; C Maginn (1-1), D O'Hare (2-9, 8f), B O'Hagan (0-1). Subs: G Collins for McKibbin (43), M McKay for McKernan (53), D Turley for Murphy (55), S Dornan (0-1) for B O'Hagan (63), H Brown for McKay (BC, 79), K McKernan for Maginn (84), B McArdle for Carr (89)

Longford: P Collum; C Farrelly, B Gilleran, D Brady; D McElligot, M Quinn (0-4), D Masterson (0-3); M Brady, D Gallagher; D Reynolds (0-1), J McGivney (0-3), B McKeon (0-2); R Smyth (0-4, 1f), B Kavanagh (0-6, 5f), B O'Farrell Subs: P McGee for Gilleran (47), L Connerton for Gallagher (55), S Hannon (1-1) for McKeon (60), B Farrell for Reynolds (67), M Hughes (1-0) for J McGivney (BC, 80), R Connor for Smyth (86), D McGivney for Quinn (89)

Referee: Barry Cassidy (Derry)