Ulster Senior Football semi-final: Monaghan 0-14 1-11 Donegal

Donegal's Karl Lacey attempts to halt Monaghan's Owen Duffy
Monaghan were two behind as the game entered injury-time before fighting back to earn a draw
Ulster Championship semi-final: Donegal 1-11 0-14 Monaghan
Donegal scorers: P McBrearty 0-5, O MacNiallais 1-0, M Murphy 0-3, E McHugh 0-1, K Lacey 0-1, C Toye 0-1
Monaghan scorers: C McManus 0-8, C McCarthy 0-2, K O'Connell 0-2, S Carey 0-1, O Duffy 0-1

A Conor McManus free in the sixth minute of injury time earned Monaghan a 0-14 to 1-11 draw against 14-man Donegal in the Ulster SFC semi-final.

Donegal were two down when Martin McElhinney was sent off after 55 minutes but they hit back with a Odhran MacNiallais goal a minute later.

Christy Toye's point in the 75th minute looked to be the winner but McManus nailed a last gasp 25-metre free.

The game looks certain to be played next weekend.

The Tyrone v Cavan semi-final replay is already scheduled for next Sunday.

Karl Lacey and Michael Murphy got Donegal in front early but Shane Carey instantly responded for Monaghan's first point of the evening before a Murphy free put Donegal 0-3 to 0-1 ahead after 13 minutes.

Monaghan were slower to settle but came good mid-way through the opening half and kicked four points in a row in an 11-minute spell.

Monaghan and Donegal players square up to each other at Breffni Park
Tempers flared on several occasions in a hard-hitting contest

Big hits flying in at Breffni

Big hits were flying in - Murphy memorably hitting Drew Wylie with a serious dunt and Conor McManus was booked for a late foul on Frank McGlynn.

Monaghan hit seven wides to Donegal's three in the first half but still led 0-5 to 0-3 after 26 minutes.

But there was never going to be much between these two and after a quiet start, Paddy McBrearty came good with 0-3 in a five-minute spell, two from frees.

Both defences held firm but were under huge pressure and when Eamon McGee fouled McCarthy, McManus converted the free to level it 0-6 each at the interval.

Conor McManus pointed from the wing for his first from play and punched the air as he put Monaghan 0-8 to 0-7 ahead.

Michael Murphy dropped a free short into Beggan's hands and then went wide with another long-range effort and Monaghan's confidence soared.

Karl O'Connell punished those misses with two long-range points in the 44th and 46th minutes to put three between them for the first time, Monaghan leading 0-10 to 0-7.

Michael Murphy attempts to get in a shot despite the attentions of Monaghan's Vinny Corey
Donegal regrouped after Michael Murphy missed three scoring chances early in the second half

Uncharacteristic Murphy misses

After Murphy's uncharacteristic misses, Donegal needed McBrearty to nail his next attempt but he also went wide with a free he'd usually convert, but scored from play soon after.

Donegal were down to 14 men after 55 minutes when Martin McElhinney picked up a black card for a late hit on Drew Wylie. Having already been booked, it meant he was off.

Trailing by two points and a man down with 15 minutes to go, Donegal had their backs to the wall but hit back immediately with a superb goal from Odhran MacNiallais.

Marty O'Reilly hand-passed through a gap and MacNiallais picked his spot, low to the far corner in the 56th minute.

Ryan and Eoin McHugh's pace breaking through the tackles caused mayhem and Colin Walshe was black-carded for dragging down Ryan McHugh.

McBrearty landed the free and Eoin McHugh burst through to put Donegal two points up with five minutes to go.

In a gripping finish, six minutes injury-time was signalled and McManus stepped up to bravely land two monster frees to level it with 73 minutes on the clock.

Donegal sub Christy Toye thought he'd won it when he fisted over, but a late hit on Karl O'Connell from Anthony Thompson gave McManus the chance to equalise at the end of 76 breathless minutes.

Manager's view - Donegal's Rory Gallagher

"I felt we were slightly the better side for most of the contest. We're disappointed to have been caught in injury after there appeared to be so much of it."

Donegal: MA McGinley; P McGrath, C Gillespie, E McGee; R McHugh, K Lacey (0-1), F McGlynn; R Kavanagh, O MacNiallais (1-0); A Thompson, M McElhinney, E McHugh (0-1); P McBrearty (0-5, 3f), M Murphy (0-3, 2f), M O'Reilly. Subs: M McHugh for McGlynn (65), C Toye for Kavanagh (68), EB Gallagher for O'Reilly (70)

Monaghan: R Beggan; C Walshe, D Wylie, R Wylie; F Kelly, V Corey, K Duffy; K O'Connell (0-2), K Hughes; S Carey (0-1), O Duffy (0-1), R McAnespie; C McCarthy (0-2, 1f), D Hughes, C McManus (0-8, 7f). Subs: D Mone for D Wylie (59), D McKenna for McCarthy (59), C Boyle for Walshe (61, BC), J McCarron for Carey (65), D Clerkin for McAnespie (70)

Referee: Joe McQuillan (Cavan)