Ulster SFC: Fermanagh 1-13 0-8 Antrim

Fermanagh's Mickey Jones challenges Antrim opponent Conor Murray
Fermanagh's Mickey Jones challenges Antrim opponent Conor Murray

An unanswered 1-3 in the last seven minutes helped Fermanagh beat 14-man Antrim in a flat Ulster SFC quarter-final at Brewster Park on Sunday.

Sean Quigley's injury-time penalty sealed a flattering eight-point victory, which booked a place in the Ulster semi-finals against Monaghan.

Antrim's Sean McVeigh received a red card on 31 minutes, with Fermanagh leading 0-6 to 0-4 at half time.

The Saffrons trailed by two on the hour mark before Fermanagh's late flourish.

There was hardly a bad tackle in the game until McVeigh's straight red for a high elbow challenge on Ciaran Flaherty.

Any hope of a high octane contest disappeared once Antrim were reduced to 14 men and Fermanagh also lost two key players to injury in the first half, Ruairi Corrigan and Ryan McCluskey.

Peter McGrath targets title after victory

Erne captain Ryan Jones kicked two points from play in the first half with five of Fermanagh's six points coming from play.

Both sides kicked terrible wides in a half which lacked atmosphere and intensity.

Tomas Corrigan and Jones opened the scoring before Ryan Murray got Antrim on the scorecard in the seventh minute.

Kieran McGourty, a late replacement in the starting team for his brother CJ, got Antrim back level in the 13th minute.

Flaherty and Jones pushed Fermanagh clear again before CJ McGourty, who came on the field after 25 minutes, kicked the first of two first-half frees to reduce the gap to a point.

McVeigh, named at fullback but playing at midfield, had been playing well before his dismissal and Fermanagh capitalised immediately on having a man advantage.

The influential Barry Mulrone got on the end of a poor Antrim kickout to put the home side three points clear before McGourty's free left two points between the sides at the interval.

Quigley and CJ McGourty swapped frees in an edgy start to the second half before Jones lit up a dull affair with a superb score from distance, his third of the afternoon and the best of the game.

Another Quigley free put Fermanagh 0-9 to 0-5 ahead after 49 minutes, without having played well.

The pace of the game didn't pick up but CJ McGourty's accuracy from frees was becoming a telling factor. He hit three in a seven-minute spell with Mulrone's point on the break the sole respite for Fermanagh.

Sean Quigley celebrates his late penalty in front of Fermanagh fans at Brewster Park
Sean Quigley celebrates his late penalty in front of Fermanagh fans at Brewster Park

CJ McGourty brought Antirim to within two points, at 0-10 to 0-8, after 60 minutes but points from Paul McCusker, sub Daniel Kille and another Quigley free pushed Fermanagh five clear.

Kille should have scored a goal in injury-time or passed to Marty O'Brien, but he was fouled in the square by Niall Delargy.

Quigley stepped up to bury the penalty which gave Fermanagh a cushion of victory they scarcely deserved and a first Ulster SFC win since 2010.

Fermanagh scorers: S Quigley 1-4 (4f, 1pen), R Jones 0-3, B Mulrone 0-2, C Flaherty, T Corrigan, P McCusker, D Kille 0-1 each

Antrim scorers: CJ McGourty 0-6 (6f), K McGourty 0-1, R Murray 0-1

Fermanagh: C Snow; M Jones, N Cassidy, M O'Brien; D McCusker, R McCluskey, J McMahon; R Jones, R O'Callaghan; B Mulrone, C Flaherty, P McCusker; T Corrigan, S Quigley, R Corrigan

Subs: D Kille for R Corrigan (22), A Breen for McCluskey (30)

Antrim: C Kerr; R Johnson, S McVeigh, C Burke; J Crozier, T Scullion, N Delargy; C Murray, M Sweeney; J Laverty, O Gallagher, P McBride; K McGourty, M Pollock, R Murray

Subs: CJ McGourty for Pollock (25), D Lynch for Gallagher (HT), J Dowling for McBride (HT), C Duffin for R Johnson (53), N O'Neill for Sweeney (62), D McAleese for R Murray (62)

Referee: Maurice Deegan (Laois)