Bayern Munich were knocked out of the German Cup by lower-league opposition for the first time since 2004 as they were stunned by second-tier Holstein Kiel in a penalty shootout.
The holders were seconds away from victory until Hauke Wahl scored via his shoulder, deep in stoppage time.
Bayern led the second-round tie twice, through Serge Gnabry's opener and Leroy Sane's brilliant free-kick.
Fin Bartels' drilled shot had levelled for Kiel in the first half.
The first 10 penalties in the shootout were scored, but Kiel goalkeeper Ioannis Gelios denied Marc Rota, and veteran Bartels scored the winning kick.
This is the first time in 12 years that Bayern have failed to reach the semi-finals. Their last defeat by a lower-league team was in 2003-04 when they lost 2-1 to second division side Alemannia Aachen in the quarter-finals.
Kiel, the 1912 German champions, have never played in the Bundesliga in its current format, and are third in the second tier.
Bayern, whose dreams of retaining their treble are over, lost 2-1 to Borussia Monchengladbach in the league at the weekend but still top the Bundesliga.
- 5TheskerSubstituted forKomendaat 80'minutes
- 15van den Bergh
- 26MeffertBooked at 45minsSubstituted forSerraat 84'minutes
- 8MühlingSubstituted forArslanat 84'minutes
- 27PorathSubstituted forHauptmannat 77'minutes
- 29MeesSubstituted forReeseat 77'minutes
- 7Lee Jae-Sung
- 20SarrSubstituted forPavardat 85'minutes
- 4SüleBooked at 61mins
- 24TolissoSubstituted forAlabaat 105'minutes
- 42MusialaSubstituted forLewandowskiat 74'minutes
- 10SanéSubstituted forDouglas Costaat 74'minutes
- 7GnabrySubstituted forRocaat 90+2'minutes
- 8Martínez Aguinaga
- 11Douglas Costa
- Robert Schröder
- Shots on Target