Match ends, Tottenham Hotspur 3, LASK 0.
Carlos Vinicius can play alongside Harry Kane in attack and not just be his stand-in, manager Jose Mourinho said after the Brazilian impressed on his debut in Tottenham's 3-0 win over LASK in the Europa League.
The 25-year-old, on loan from Benfica, set up Lucas Moura for the opening goal in the 18th minute before his cushioned header for Son Heung-min resulted in Spurs' third.
Vinicius might also have scored the second goal, but Gareth Bale's low ball from the right intended for him was inadvertently turned in by LASK left-back Andres Andrade.
"He played well but can do better," said the Portuguese boss. "Considering the circumstances and that it was his first match, I'm really happy. The only thing that was missing was one goal, but he's much more than that.
"He's not selfish and is a good target man. He can play with Kane when his good period arrives and won't just be the guy to cover him. I am very happy."
Vinicius makes his mark
Although many eyes would have been on Bale, making his first start in a Spurs shirt since 2013, attention was also focused on 6ft 3in Brazilian Vinicius. Could he become the reliable extra striker Spurs have been seeking?
The 25-year-old joined Benfica from Napoli, where he was denied a chance to play, in 2019 and scored 24 goals in 18 matches before his loan move to the London club in the last window, which could become permanent.
He made a very good first impression for Mourinho, which almost became a great impression in the ninth minute when he headed a simple chance wide from six yards. Vinicius was visibly frustrated by his miss, but atoned for mistake with a brilliant piece of skill for the opener.
The forward took down a long punt with a brilliant first touch before drifting left and squaring the ball for Lucas, who had taken his fellow Brazilian's place in the middle. The midfielder finished off the move with a low shot.
Bale had a relatively quiet 61 minutes on the right of the attack, although his ball did lead to the second goal. The move began with a swift counter-attack on the right before Erik Lamela found the Welshman, whose low ball was turned in by unfortunate Panamanian Andrade.
Bale was replaced by Son Heung-min, with Mourinho also choosing to bring on midfielders Dele Alli and Moussa Sissoko, having started the match with only three players who featured in the 3-3 draw against West Ham.
Alli came close to adding a third before Son did, when he fired in from Vinicius' gorgeous assist, and the Brazilian came off moments later.
LASK, defeated by Manchester United in this competition in the last 16 in August, had their best spell just before the break when Gernot Trauner had a shot blocked, before Joe Hart flew to his right to punch away Andreas Gruber's curling shot.
Lucas on a scoring streak for Spurs - stats
- Spurs have won 11 of their last 12 home Europa League group stage matches.
- After losing just one of their first eight Europa League matches (W5 D2), LASK have lost each of their last three in a row.
- Spurs have scored 31 goals in all competitions this season, five more than any other Premier League side.
- Mourinho has won 12 of his 15 home matches in the Uefa Cup/Europa League (D2 L1), across spells with Benfica, FC Porto, Manchester United and Spurs.
- Lucas has scored in each of his last three starts in all competitions, his best streak for the club.
- Only Kane (18) has been directly involved in more goals in all competitions among Premier League players than Son (13 - nine goals, four assists) this season.
- Austrian teams remain winless in 18 away European matches in England, drawing one and losing 17.
Spurs are at Burnley next Monday (20:00 BST) in the Premier League.
- 6D Sánchez
- 5HøjbjergSubstituted forSissokoat 62'minutes
- 9BaleSubstituted forSon Heung-Minat 62'minutes
- 11LamelaSubstituted forAlliat 62'minutes
- 27Lucas MouraSubstituted forLo Celsoat 78'minutes
- 45Alves MoraisSubstituted forClarkeat 86'minutes
- 7Son Heung-Min
- 18Lo Celso
- 30AndradeSubstituted forPotzmannat 45'minutes
- 25HollandSubstituted forGrgicat 5'minutes
- 10MichorlBooked at 45mins
- 7RennerSubstituted forFilipovicat 39'minutes
- 17GruberSubstituted forEggesteinat 45'minutes
- 14BalicSubstituted forGoigingerat 78'minutes
- Mohammed Al-Hakim
- Shots on Target
Second Half ends, Tottenham Hotspur 3, LASK 0.
Attempt missed. Jack Clarke (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the centre of the box misses to the right.
Foul by Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur).
Petar Filipovic (LASK) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Attempt saved. Marko Raguz (LASK) header from the centre of the box is saved in the top centre of the goal.
Offside, Tottenham Hotspur. Jack Clarke tries a through ball, but Son Heung-Min is caught offside.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Jack Clarke replaces Carlos Vinicius.
Goal! Tottenham Hotspur 3, LASK 0. Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Carlos Vinicius with a headed pass.
Giovani Lo Celso (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Foul by Marvin Potzmann (LASK).
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Giovani Lo Celso replaces Lucas Moura.
Substitution, LASK. Thomas Goiginger replaces Husein Balic.
Attempt blocked. Husein Balic (LASK) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Peter Michorl.
Attempt saved. Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the bottom left corner. Assisted by Carlos Vinicius.
Attempt missed. Lucas Moura (Tottenham Hotspur) header from the left side of the six yard box is just a bit too high. Assisted by Son Heung-Min with a cross following a corner.
Corner, Tottenham Hotspur. Conceded by Alexander Schlager.
Attempt saved. Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the top centre of the goal. Assisted by Dele Alli.
Foul by Carlos Vinicius (Tottenham Hotspur).
Gernot Trauner (LASK) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
- New drama - Roadkill: Can a government minister outrun the secrets of his past?
- Bringing Football Back: Behind the scenes of a club reborn