League One - 2nd Leg

Wycombe Wanderers 2-2 Fleetwood Town (agg: 6-3): Chairboys to face Oxford United in final

Wycombe celebrate
Fred Onyedinma (right) scored his first Wycombe goals since September

Wycombe Wanderers withstood a brave display from Fleetwood Town to reach the League One play-off final.

The Chairboys drew the second leg 2-2 at Adams Park to progress to Wembley and face Oxford United next Monday after winning 6-3 on aggregate.

Fleetwood made an ideal start as they tried to chip away at their 4-1 first-leg deficit with a Danny Andrew first-half strike but Fred Onyedinma restored Wycombe's three-goal cushion early in the second half.

Despite Fleetwood regaining the lead on the night with a Ched Evans penalty they failed to convert any more chances to overhaul Wycombe's aggregate lead and Onyedinma added a second in stoppage time - an equaliser on the night - to end the fightback.

The result means Wycombe are one win away from reaching the English second tier for the first time.

They will face their Thames Valley neighbours from just up the M40 in the final, after the U's narrowly beat Portsmouth on penalties in the other semi-final which finished 2-2 on aggregate after extra time.

Barton's Fleetwood kept at arm's length

Despite holding a 4-1 aggregate lead from Friday's first leg at Highbury, Wycombe were hit by a determined Fleetwood from the start.

Their nerves would have been jittering when left-back Andrew gave Fleetwood a chance of overhauling the deficit with the opener.

A superb left-foot drive from the edge of the penalty area beat Ryan Allsop to his right after the hosts failed to fully clear a Wes Burns cross.

Pressure continued to be exerted from Joey Barton's side as a Barrie McKay goalbound shot from distance struck the right hand of Wycombe centre-back Anthony Stewart.

Referee Darren Bond waved away appeals for a penalty despite Fleetwood seeming to have a case.

Wycombe celebrate
Wycombe were eighth in League One when the season was suspended but moved up to third on points-per-game as they had played a game less than their rivals

But early in the second half Wycombe restored their three-goal aggregate advantage when Onyedinma was gifted an equaliser.

Harry Souttar chose to keep the ball alive in his own penalty area rather than let it run out of play after Onyedinma's initial attacking run, but the centre-back's poor touch only played it straight back into the forward's path and he made no mistake from six yards out.

Fleetwood still had some fight and on the hour, Joe Jacobson fouled McKay just inside the area as he tried to latch on to a Glenn Whelan through ball and a penalty was given.

Evans added to his first-leg spot-kick by sending Allsop the wrong way and bringing it back to 5-3 on aggregate.

That pressure continued right into the closing stages and Evans almost brought his side back to within a goal, only to see his free header from seven yards out palmed behind by Allsop low down for a corner.

But as the Cod Army pushed and pushed, Onyedinma's pace and trickery struck again on the break with a calmly taken finish across goal when played through.

Post-match reaction

Wycombe boss Gareth Ainsworth:

"I can't thank the boys enough, their efforts have just been phenomenal all week, all four weeks since they got back from lockdown all they've been focusing on doing is being their best and I asked them to be better than they were on Friday.

"It was a tough ask but they've defended unbelievably against what I would say is the best away footballing team we've had down here all season."

"We defended really well, it's about those headers, those moments in front of your own goal that you'll die for to defend and I've got this pack that will die for each other out there."

Fleetwood manager Joey Barton told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"I asked the lads to respond and give a good account of themselves and I thought they did that.

"First leg the damage was done really and we gave ourselves a mountain to climb, but I thought that performance really showed how tight-knit we are as a group and we'll come back stronger.

"Over two legs, Wycombe deserved to go through finding the back of the net six times and you can't begrudge that.

"We've to focus on all the strides we've made in the past two seasons and push this club on. This will be part of our learning and I believe the style of football we play will take us a lot further in the game than others."



  • 1Allsop
  • 19Grimmer
  • 5Stewart
  • 21Charles
  • 3Jacobson
  • 28OfoborhSubstituted forFreemanat 84'minutes
  • 4Gape
  • 10BloomfieldSubstituted forThompsonat 38'minutesBooked at 39mins
  • 7WheelerSubstituted forPattisonat 58'minutes
  • 25SamuelSubstituted forAkinfenwaat 45'minutes
  • 23Onyedinma


  • 8Pattison
  • 11Kashket
  • 16Phillips
  • 17Smyth
  • 18Thompson
  • 20Akinfenwa
  • 22Freeman
  • 27Parker
  • 31Stockdale


  • 1Cairns
  • 7BurnsSubstituted forSouthamat 90+2'minutes
  • 6Souttar
  • 19Gibson
  • 3Andrew
  • 15Coutts
  • 12Whelan
  • 11MorrisSubstituted forSaundersat 80'minutes
  • 4ConnollySubstituted forDempseyat 72'minutes
  • 21McKay
  • 9Evans


  • 8Dempsey
  • 13Gilks
  • 14Southam
  • 27Biggins
  • 28Sowerby
  • 31Crellin
  • 32Saunders
  • 33Hill
  • 41Holgate
Darren Bond

Match Stats

Home TeamWycombeAway TeamFleetwood
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Wycombe Wanderers 2, Fleetwood Town 2.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Wycombe Wanderers 2, Fleetwood Town 2.

  3. Post update

    Attempt missed. Harry Souttar (Fleetwood Town) left footed shot from the left side of the six yard box is too high.

  4. Goal!

    Goal! Wycombe Wanderers 2, Fleetwood Town 2. Fred Onyedinma (Wycombe Wanderers) right footed shot from outside the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Nick Freeman.

  5. Post update

    Foul by Glenn Whelan (Fleetwood Town).

  6. Post update

    Curtis Thompson (Wycombe Wanderers) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  7. Post update

    Lewis Gibson (Fleetwood Town) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  8. Post update

    Foul by Alex Pattison (Wycombe Wanderers).

  9. Substitution

    Substitution, Fleetwood Town. Macauley Southam replaces Wes Burns.

  10. Post update

    Attempt missed. Wes Burns (Fleetwood Town) left footed shot from the centre of the box is too high following a set piece situation.

  11. Post update

    Wes Burns (Fleetwood Town) wins a free kick on the right wing.

  12. Post update

    Foul by Joe Jacobson (Wycombe Wanderers).

  13. Post update

    Attempt blocked. Alex Pattison (Wycombe Wanderers) right footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Adebayo Akinfenwa.

  14. Post update

    Lewis Gibson (Fleetwood Town) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  15. Post update

    Foul by Adebayo Akinfenwa (Wycombe Wanderers).

  16. Substitution

    Substitution, Wycombe Wanderers. Nick Freeman replaces Nnamdi Ofoborh.

  17. Post update

    Corner, Fleetwood Town. Conceded by Ryan Allsop.

  18. Post update

    Attempt saved. Ched Evans (Fleetwood Town) header from the centre of the box is saved in the bottom left corner. Assisted by Wes Burns with a cross.

  19. Post update

    Attempt blocked. Kyle Dempsey (Fleetwood Town) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Glenn Whelan.

  20. Substitution

    Substitution, Fleetwood Town. Harvey Saunders replaces Josh Morris.

As It Stood

4Oxford Utd35179961372460
14Bristol Rovers35129143849-1145
16Lincoln City35126174446-242
19MK Dons35107183647-1137
View full League One table

Top Stories