League of Ireland Premier Division: Derry City 0-2 Shamrock Rovers

Aaron Greene celebrates after scoring Shamrock Rovers' second goal
Aaron Greene's goal sealed Shamrock Rovers' victory at the Brandywell

Derry City's hopes of earning a European spot suffered a blow as they lost 2-0 at home to Shamrock Rovers.

After a goalless opening hour, the key action came in a 13-minute period as Rovers netted their goals either side of a missed Derry penalty.

David Parkhouse's loss of possession led to a Rovers penalty scored on 64 minutes by ex-Derry man Aaron McEneff.

Parkhouse's Derry penalty was then saved by Alan Mannus on 72 before Aaron Greene's goal sealed the Rovers win.

Derry's defeat means they drop to fourth - three points behind Bohemians - after Bohs crushed UCD 10-1 at Dalymount Park.

Bohemians result also means they now have a superior goals difference in the battle for the third and final European spot with seven games to go.

Despite their victory at the Brandywell, second-placed Rovers remain seven points behind leaders and champions Dundalk who defeated relegation-threatened Finn Harps 5-0 at Oriel Park.

Clear cut chances were few and far between in the opening half with Graham Burke testing Derry keeper Peter Cherrie in the 38th minute and Gerardo Bruna shooting just wide from distance in the Candystripes' best effort just before the break.

As both sides began to show a little more ambition after the break, Derry full-back Jamie McDonagh went close with a shot across the face of goal after his change towards the Rovers penalty.

At that stage, Derry were beginning to look the more threatening side with Ciaron Harkin almost setting up Parkhouse to pull the trigger only for the offside flag to be waved.

However, the match dramatically turned in the Hoops' favour as Parkhouse over-hit pass put the Derry defence in trouble, with Greene's cross leading a stretched Greg Sloggett to concede the penalty, which McEneff slotted by sending Cherrie the wrong way.

After Bruna attempted to atone by firing just wide, Derry appeared set to get on terms as they were awarded a penalty but Parkhouse's penalty was comfortably saved by former Northern Ireland goalkeeper Alan Mannus.

Derry's miserable evening was complete four minutes later when Greene ran unchallenged to the edge of the box before firing past Cherrie.