League of Ireland Premier Division: Derry City snatch 2-2 draw against Dundalk

Junior celebrates with young Derry fans after Friday's game
Junior's last-gasp goal extends Derry's unbeaten league run to five games

Junior's last-gasp goal earned Derry City a dramatic 2-2 draw against League of Ireland Premier Division leaders Dundalk at the Brandywell.

Dundalk seemed certain to have come from behind to win after substitute Patrick Hoban headed them into the lead in the first minute of injury-time.

David Parkhouse's 42nd-minute goal gave Derry a deserved lead at half-time.

However, the champions largely bossed the second half with Georgie Kelly levelling on 52 before Hoban's header.

But Derry snatched a point as in-form Junior headed Jamie McDonagh's corner past Gary Rogers in the fourth minutes of injury-time.

Dundalk's eight-match winning run ends

The result ends Dundalk's eight-match winning run in the League of Ireland although they remain eight points clear at the top after Shamrock Rovers were held to a goalless draw by Sligo Rovers.

Derry, meanwhile, are now unbeaten in five games but drop to fifth in the table after St Patrick's Athletic earned a 2-1 win in Waterford.

St Pat's move a point ahead of Derry - but have played two games more - while the Candystripes remain six points behind third-placed Bohemians, and with a game in hand, after the Dalymount Park outfit drew 0-0 at Cork City.

Former Derry City favourite Patrick McEleney went close for Dundalk early on with a dipping shot but the Candystripes regrouped to have the better of the opening period as Darren McCauley marked his return to the Brandywell following his move from Inverness Caledonian Thistle last month.

Dundalk's Georgie Kelly battles with Derry's Ally Gilchrist
Georgie Kelly (left) equalised for Dundalk after David Parkhouse put Derry ahead

Excellent crosses from Junior and Northern Ireland Under-21 international McDonagh threatened to unhinge the Dundalk defence before a Chris Shields mistake was punished by Parkhouse's 42nd-minute finish.

Dundalk insisted that Shields have been fouled as his attempted back pass to Rogers only fell invitingly for Parkhouse.

With wide player Sean Gannon particularly impressive, the champions quickly took control of the contest in the second period and Shields atoned for his first-half mistake as he helped set up Kelly to lash past Peter Cherrie on 52 minutes.

The introduction of Hoban and Jamie McGrath midway through the second period gave Dundalk increased urgency as Derry began to look a little tired.

Cherrie kept Derry on terms by tipping over a McGrath header after another superb Gannon cross before Hoban seemed certain to have secured all three points for Dundalk as he nodded home a corner in the opening seconds of injury-time.

But to their credit, Derry forced a corner and McDonagh's delivery was powered home by Junior despite Rogers' best efforts.