Scottish Challenge Cup - Semi-Final
Connah's Quay Nomads1Edinburgh City1
Connah's Quay Nomads win 5-4 on penalties

Scottish Challenge Cup: Connah's Quay Nomads beat Edinburgh City 5-4 on penalties to reach final

Andy Morrison
Former Manchester City captain Andy Morrison has guided Connah's Quay into Europe, to a Welsh Cup win and the top of the Welsh Premier League

Welsh side Connah's Quay Nomads will face Scottish Championship leaders Ross County in the Scottish Challenge Cup final after beating Edinburgh City 5-4 on penalties following a 1-1 draw.

Nomads keeper John Danby was the hero in the shootout, saving from City's Craig Thomson and Ciaran Diver.

Josh Walker had put the visitors into an early lead in normal time before Michael Wilde stabbed in an equaliser.

Both sides had chances to win it but couldn't be separated after extra-time.

Callum Morris, Danny Harrison, John Disney and Michael Bakare all converted their penalties to make it 4-3 to Nomads in the shootout, Liam Henderson, Marc Laird and Bradley Donaldson replying for City before Danby dived to his left to save Thomson's effort.

Michael Wilde had the chance to seal it for Connah's Quay but was denied by Calum Antell, with Blair Henderson levelling it at 4-4.

But George Horan converted for the hosts before Danby pushed Diver's weak effort wide to clinch a final against County on the weekend of 23-24 March.

Nomads, leaders of the Welsh Premier League, are the first club from outside Scotland to reach the final since guest teams were invited into the competition in the 2016-17 season.

City, a point clear at the top of Scottish League Two, were ahead inside two minutes.

Scott Shepherd fired a cross in from the right, Blair Henderson's shot was saved by Danby but Walker, following up at the far post, swept it home.

But Jake Phillips' long throw-ins were causing City problems and another led to the Nomads' equaliser.

Wilde headed down Phillips' throw, Morris' initial volley was saved by Antell but Wilde forced it home from close range.

Connah's Quay had other chances before the interval, Andy Owens denied by Antell before the Edinburgh keeper tipped over a fierce Phillips volley in the last move of the half.

Chances were scarcer on the resumption, Allan Smith firing wide for the visitors and Walker testing Danby with a long-range effort.

The dangerous Bakare sent a free-kick narrowly over for Nomads in stoppage-time after his weaving run was crudely brought to an end by Laird, but neither side could muster a winner in extra-time.


Connah's Quay Nomads

  • 1Danby
  • 2Disney
  • 14Barton
  • 5HoranBooked at 49mins
  • 15Holmes
  • 19Phillips
  • 6Harrison
  • 8Morris
  • 22BakareBooked at 58mins
  • 10OwensSubstituted forHughesat 80'minutes
  • 9Wilde


  • 16Owen
  • 18Farquharson
  • 20Brass
  • 21Hughes
  • 24Harwood
  • 25McHugh

Edinburgh City

  • 1Antell
  • 2Thomson
  • 5Balatoni
  • 22Henderson
  • 3McIntyre
  • 19ShepherdSubstituted forDiverat 108'minutes
  • 6LairdBooked at 90mins
  • 4BlackSubstituted forDonaldsonat 110'minutes
  • 8WalkerSubstituted forRodgerat 95'minutes
  • 9Henderson
  • 7SmithSubstituted forTaylorat 113'minutes


  • 11Taylor
  • 14Rodger
  • 15Donaldson
  • 17Hall
  • 18Kennedy
  • 21Morton
  • 23Diver
James Oldham

Match Stats

Home TeamConnah's Quay NomadsAway TeamEdinburgh City
Shots on Target

Top Stories