FA Trophy final: Brackley Town beat Bromley 5-4 on penalties after 1-1 draw

Brackley level in stoppage time
Brackley were seconds away from defeat before this own goal equaliser

Brackley Town won the FA Trophy for the first time as they dramatically beat Bromley on penalties.

Substitute Andy Brown converted the decisive spot kick to win the shootout 5-4 after Omar Bugiel and Jack Holland had missed for Bromley.

His side had earlier claimed a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser at the end of 90 minutes to make it 1-1.

Roger Johnson's own goal in the closing seconds cancelled out Bromley's first-half opener from Bugiel.

Victory made amends for National League North side Brackley, who missed out on promotion to the National League just seven days earlier when they were beaten by Harrogate Town.

Omar Bulgiel
Omar Bulgiel, who thought his goal had won it in normal time, missed a penalty in the shootout which would have taken the trophy to Bromley

For so long it looked like Kevin Wilkin's side would lose out at Wembley as chance after chance went begging, including a hatful for midfielder James Armson.

But when Matt Lowe's low drilled effort in the fifth minute of second-half stoppage time struck the base of the post, the rebound deflected unfortunately off Bromley centre-back Johnson.

It was a bitter moment for the former Cardiff, Wolves and Birmingham City player, who lifted the League Cup with Blues on the same pitch in 2011.

Forest Green Rovers loanee Bugiel looked to have given the National League club the silverware with his low finish from Adam Mekki's run in the first half.

But, come the shootout, it was he who blazed his penalty over the bar which would have won the trophy for Bromley after Shane Byrne had had Brackley's first spot kick saved by David Gregory.

That gave Adam Walker the chance to level things at 4-4 after five penalties each, before captain Holland hit the right post and allowed Brown to coolly stepped up and win it for the Northamptonshire club.

Brackley Town manager Kevin Wilkin told BBC Sport:

"You need a bit of luck late on in finals, but that group of players have proved they're never ones to throw the towel in.

"They kept going right until the end and we probably should have scored a lot earlier and also got lucky when they broke away late in the game.

"My heart was beating even harder when we missed the first spot kick in the shootout. You start to think we're not going to get that bit of luck and fortune that finals require.

"But the nerve that people showed after that to keep their cool. Lady Luck was shining down on us when it became a score-to-win scenario and we got them."

Bromley manager Neil Smith told BBC Radio Kent:

"I'm just upset for the players as, up to the 94th minute, they'd done everything right.

"To let that goal in with 10 seconds to go, they then showed the character to stay in it during extra time.

"Then it seems like it was snatched away again from us going into penalties.

"But the players have been absolutely brilliant for me. From where we've come in at pre-season, to where we are today, they've made massive strides. I'm just gutted for them as they deserved to win."

Brackley: Lewis, Lowe, Franklin (Myles 77), S Byrne, Gudger, Dean, G Walker, Armson, Ndlovu (Brown 53), Williams, A Walker.

Subs not used: Graham, Streete, Diggin.

Goals: Johnson og (90).

Bromley: Gregory, Holland, Raymond, Dennis (Hanlan 68), Mekki (Chorley 72), Higgs, Sterling, Porter (Rees 61), R Johnson, Sutherland, Bugiel.

Subs not used: Dunne, D Johnson.

Goals: Bugiel 19.

Attendance: 31,430

Referee: Chris Kavanagh (Lancashire).

Top Stories