Scottish Premiership

Hibernian 1-1 Kilmarnock

Media playback is not supported on this device

Oli Shaw cancels out Kris Boyd's early goal but Hibernian are held at home by Kilmarnock.

Kris Boyd and Oli Shaw scored first-half goals as Hibernian were held to a draw by Kilmarnock at Easter Road.

Boyd rattled home his sixth in five games, and 12th of the season, from 20 yards after less than two minutes.

After the opener, it was all Hibs, Shaw eventually capitalising on a dreadful error from Killie goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald to equalise.

John McGinn hit the bar, while Shaw also went close after the break, but Hibs could not find a winner.

The home side - who are keen to sign Dundee goalkeeper Scott Bain in the January transfer window - remain fourth in the Scottish Premiership, five points behind Rangers and clear of fifth-placed Hearts by the same margin.

The point takes Killie into the top six, ahead of St Johnstone on goal difference. Steve Clarke's side are now unbeaten in six matches.

Many of the fans were still taking their seats when the visitors snatched a dramatic opener. Boyd, now 34, latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the 18-yard box and his powerful shot struck the inside of the post before nestling in the back of the net behind the outstretched Ofir Marciano.

It was a shock to the system for the home side however they were responded well with Anthony Stokes only inches away from connecting with Lewis Stevenson's low effort.

Stokes then turned provider with a mazy run and cut-back for Danny Swanson, who was making a return to first-team action following injury. His effort from just eight yards out flew the wrong side of MacDonald's goal.

Danny Swanson shows his frustration after missing a chance
It was a frustrating afternoon for Hibernian and Danny Swanson

Hibs were piling on the pressure with a string of corners and Darren McGregor headed just over from another John McGinn set piece.

The equaliser came midway through the half thanks to an horrendous mistake by MacDonald. He came to collect what looked an easy delivery, but spilled the ball at the feet of Shaw, who flicked it home.

The game was swinging from end to end, Scott Boyd meeting a delicious Chris Burke cross, but seeing his effort deflected wide, before Swanson opted to shoot rather than find Stokes or Martin Boyle, with his shot diverted away from goal.

Killie made a dynamic start to the second half, with Jordan Jones forcing Marciano to tip his rifled 25-yard half-volley over the bar.

But Neil Lennon's men soon regained control, Stokes' low free-kick drawing a good save from MacDonald, and Boyle's left-foot volley dipping narrowly over the visitors' goal.

Hibernian were being urged on by the home fans and McGinn hammered a thunderous drive off the crossbar after good work down the left flank by Stokes.

Lennon threw on striker Simon Murray, and Lithuanian pair Vykintas Sliva and Deivydas Matulevicius as Hibs hemmed Killie in their own box, but failed to make their supremacy pay.

Hibernian assistant coach Garry Parker: "It was a very frustrating afternoon. I think we had a few chances, especially in the first half. Swanson has had a couple.

"We gave a goal away early doors and we managed to get one back but we just couldn't break them down. We tried and tried and tried but we just couldn't get their winning goal.

"Boyd has flicked it on and followed his header on and put it in the back of the net. A good finish but from our point of view it was sloppy. We should have had enough to break them down and get the three points which was disappointing."

Jamie MacDonald
Boss Steve Clarke was pleased with the way Jamie MacDonald reacted to his error

Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke: "I think we will take the point. It was a tough game for us. If you can ever score a goal too early I think that was the one. I think the players, after they scored that goal, thought they had started the game well when the game hadn't really started.

"It took us a little bit of time to get into the game. Hibs gave us a torrid time for about 15 or 20 minutes in the first half but we dug in. We showed the character we have been showing in recent weeks and we ground out a point.

"Jamie MacDonald is a goalkeeper and understands the life of a goalkeeper. He understands that if you make a mistake like that you are going to get the spotlight on you. The good thing for me was he recovered really well from the mistake because after that there were a lot of crosses whipped in under the crossbar.

"There were a few fouls on him, a lot of bodies around him so he responded well from that mistake."



  • 1Marciano
  • 25Ambrose
  • 24McGregor
  • 4HanlonBooked at 79mins
  • 16Stevenson
  • 7McGinnBooked at 83mins
  • 10McGeouch
  • 11SwansonSubstituted forSlivkaat 72'minutes
  • 17Boyle
  • 32ShawSubstituted forMurrayat 71'minutes
  • 28StokesSubstituted forMatuleviciusat 85'minutes


  • 2Gray
  • 6Bartley
  • 8Slivka
  • 9Matulevicius
  • 15Murray
  • 36Porteous
  • 41Dabrowski


  • 1MacDonald
  • 2O'Donnell
  • 16Boyd
  • 5Broadfoot
  • 12TaylorBooked at 53mins
  • 8DickerBooked at 30mins
  • 24Mulumbu
  • 6Power
  • 29BurkeSubstituted forMcKenzieat 61'minutesBooked at 81mins
  • 9BoydSubstituted forErwinat 70'minutes
  • 11JonesBooked at 60minsSubstituted forFrizzellat 85'minutes


  • 4Greer
  • 7McKenzie
  • 17Findlay
  • 18Waters
  • 21Frizzell
  • 22Erwin
  • 26Bell
Alan Muir

Match Stats

Home TeamHibernianAway TeamKilmarnock
Shots on Target

Live Text

Match ends, Hibernian 1, Kilmarnock 1.

Full Time

Second Half ends, Hibernian 1, Kilmarnock 1.

Corner, Hibernian. Conceded by Stephen O'Donnell.

Scott Boyd (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

Foul by Deivydas Matulevicius (Hibernian).

Alan Power (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick on the left wing.

Foul by Martin Boyle (Hibernian).

Attempt missed. John McGinn (Hibernian) left footed shot from outside the box misses to the right.


Substitution, Hibernian. Deivydas Matulevicius replaces Anthony Stokes.


Substitution, Kilmarnock. Adam Frizzell replaces Jordan Jones.

Dylan McGeouch (Hibernian) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

Foul by Rory McKenzie (Kilmarnock).


John McGinn (Hibernian) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.

Jordan Jones (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

Foul by John McGinn (Hibernian).


Rory McKenzie (Kilmarnock) is shown the yellow card.

Anthony Stokes (Hibernian) wins a free kick on the right wing.

Foul by Gary Dicker (Kilmarnock).

Foul by Simon Murray (Hibernian).

(Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

Corner, Hibernian. Conceded by Kirk Broadfoot.

Attempt blocked. Martin Boyle (Hibernian) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.


Paul Hanlon (Hibernian) is shown the yellow card.

Corner, Hibernian. Conceded by Scott Boyd.

Corner, Hibernian. Conceded by Kirk Broadfoot.

Corner, Hibernian. Conceded by Alan Power.

John McGinn (Hibernian) hits the bar with a right footed shot from outside the box.

Attempt blocked. Rory McKenzie (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

Martin Boyle (Hibernian) wins a free kick on the right wing.

Foul by Stephen O'Donnell (Kilmarnock).


Substitution, Hibernian. Vykintas Slivka replaces Danny Swanson.


Substitution, Hibernian. Simon Murray replaces Oli Shaw.

Dylan McGeouch (Hibernian) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

Foul by Alan Power (Kilmarnock).


Substitution, Kilmarnock. Lee Erwin replaces Kris Boyd.

Attempt missed. John McGinn (Hibernian) left footed shot from outside the box misses to the right.

Dylan McGeouch (Hibernian) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

Foul by Jordan Jones (Kilmarnock).

Corner, Hibernian. Conceded by Kris Boyd.

Corner, Hibernian. Conceded by Alan Power.


As It Stood

7St Johnstone217592130-926
11Partick Thistle2255121937-1820
12Ross County2245132136-1517
View full Scottish Premiership table

Top Stories