Scottish League Two: Peterhead go third as Montrose, Stirling, Elgin falter

Rory McAllister celebrates scoring for Peterhead
Rory McAllister scored two goals in Peterhead's comprehensive win over Edinburgh City

Peterhead made up ground on their Scottish League Two promotion rivals by easing past Edinburgh City 3-0 at Balmoor.

Leaders Montrose dropped points in a goalless draw at Clyde, while second-placed Stirling Albion were beaten 1-0 by Berwick Rangers.

The Blue Toon leapfrogged Elgin City into third place, with Elgin going down 2-0 at Annan Athletic.

Bottom side Cowdenbeath's clash with Stenhousemuir was postponed.

The match was called off four hours before kick-off due to the frozen Central Park pitch.

That meant all the League Two fixtures featured teams in the top half of the table tackling those in the lower half.

Peterhead's Rory McAllister broke the deadlock from the penalty spot just after half-time at Balmoor. The referee sent off Chris McKee for fouling McAllister to concede the spot kick.

McAllister doubled the advantage thanks to Russell McLean's good ball into his path, and within a minute substitute Jordon Brown rounded off the victory.

Montrose were frustrated in a low-key stalemate at Clyde, but remain two points clear at the summit, while Elgin came unstuck at Galabank against Annan.

The Black and Golds led inside six minutes when Daniel Orsi fed Aidan Smith to find the net with power.

They were lucky not to concede an immediate equaliser, however, when Chris McLeish was denied by Alex Mitchell and Brian Cameron's effort hit the frame of the goal.

Peter Watson added to the lead in the second half, the defender scoring when coming up from the back to get on the end of a Ryan Sinnamon corner.

Elgin lacked discipline at times, as six of their number were booked in a fractious match.

At Berwick, Michael McKenna put the Shielfield Park hosts into an early advantage, one that they held all afternoon in a 1-0 win over Stirling.

The striker capitalised in six minutes after an Aaron Murrell shot was blocked.

Robbie Horn's men could have extended their lead but Robert Wilson's header rebounded off the bar.

Stirling had chances too, and Robby McCrorie needed to make a double-save from Darren Smith.