The FA Cup - First Round
HerefordHereford1TelfordAFC Telford United0

Hereford FC 1-0 AFC Telford United

John Mills was the hero for Hereford as he pounced on a rebound to secure a FA Cup first-round win over 10-man AFC Telford United.

The meeting between the two phoenix clubs was a passionate affair, played in front of a record crowd of 4,700 at Edgar Street.

Telford, a division above their opponents, had dominated up until the hour mark, when Jon Royle was shown a red card for a lunging challenge on Pablo Haysham.

Marcus Dinaga had twice been foiled by Martin Horsell but Royle's sending off decisively shifted the momentum in Hereford's favour, reinvigorating the home support and seeing the Bulls take the initiative.

The one-man advantage told as the hosts took the lead after 68 minutes.

Jasbir Singh failed to deal with substitute Haysham's stinging shot and Mills responded quickest to get the all-important goal.

Match report supplied by the Press Association.

Hereford boss Peter Beadle told BBC Hereford and Worcester:

"In football terms, it's been a great day for us. It is probably parallel to our FA Vase run as to be in the second round is a fantastic achievement.

"The red card changed the tide of the game. It seemed a heavy challenge but the fact all the players reacted the way they did showed it was a bad one.

"We could have been two behind in the first half as we looked a little bit nervous but we grew into the game.

"We started to impose ourselves in the second half and we took control of the game after the sending-off and we fortunate enough to get the goal."



Formation 4-4-2

  • 1Horsell
  • 3O'Shea
  • 5Green
  • 6DeamanBooked at 90mins
  • 2Oates
  • 10Reffell
  • 4PurdieBooked at 45mins
  • 8DinsleySubstituted forHayshamat 17'minutes
  • 7PreenBooked at 45minsSubstituted forPageat 78'minutes
  • 9MillsSubstituted forSmithat 84'minutes
  • 11Symons


  • 12Haysham
  • 14Smith
  • 15Preston
  • 16Page
  • 17Bird
  • 18Franklin
  • 20Harris


Formation 4-2-3-1

  • 1SinghBooked at 61mins
  • 2SimpsonSubstituted forBarnes-Homerat 83'minutes
  • 5Sutton
  • 4Johnson
  • 3Harris
  • 6RoyleBooked at 60mins
  • 8Cowans
  • 7Murphy
  • 10DwyerSubstituted forLusseyat 62'minutes
  • 11Newby
  • 9Dinanga


  • 12Hayden
  • 13Martinez
  • 14Lussey
  • 15McGrory
  • 16Barnes-Homer
  • 17Marsh
  • 18Taylor
Thomas Bramall

Match Stats

Home TeamHerefordAway TeamTelford
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Hereford FC 1, AFC Telford United 0.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Hereford FC 1, AFC Telford United 0.

  3. Booking

    Jack Deaman (Hereford FC) is shown the yellow card.

  4. Post update

    Lance Smith (Hereford FC) wins a free kick on the right wing.

  5. Post update

    Foul by Elliot Newby (AFC Telford United).

  6. Post update

    Foul by Pablo Haysham (Hereford FC).

  7. Post update

    Marcus Dinanga (AFC Telford United) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  8. Post update

    Attempt blocked. Jordan Murphy (AFC Telford United) right footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked.

  9. Post update

    Attempt missed. Shane Sutton (AFC Telford United) header from the left side of the box misses to the left.

  10. Post update

    Foul by Keyon Reffell (Hereford FC).

  11. Post update

    Connor Johnson (AFC Telford United) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  12. Substitution

    Substitution, Hereford FC. Lance Smith replaces John Mills.

  13. Post update

    Corner, Hereford FC. Conceded by Robert Harris.

  14. Substitution

    Substitution, AFC Telford United. Matthew Barnes-Homer replaces Aaron Simpson.

  15. Post update

    Attempt saved. Mike Symons (Hereford FC) header from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal.

  16. Post update

    Corner, AFC Telford United. Conceded by Dara O'Shea.

  17. Post update

    Corner, AFC Telford United. Conceded by Dara O'Shea.

  18. Post update

    Foul by Dara O'Shea (Hereford FC).

  19. Post update

    Elliot Newby (AFC Telford United) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  20. Post update

    Foul by Ryan Green (Hereford FC).

Top Stories

Elsewhere on the BBC