NI League Cup: Waterworth nets on return as Blues beat Mallards

Media playback is not supported on this device

League Cup highlights: Waterworth on target for Blues in Ferney Park victory

Andrew Waterworth made a scoring return for Linfield in the 3-0 victory at Ballinamallard Utd in the League Cup.

Josh Robinson put the Blues in front and Waterworth headed in on his first appearance of the season after a knee injury before Jordan Stewart netted.

Cliftonville thumped PSNI 7-0 with Daniel Hughes, Stephen Garrett and Jay Donnelly each bagging doubles.

Ballyclare Comrades are also in the quarter-finals after Gary Brown's goal clinched a a 1-0 win over Institute.

Brown got the final touch seven minutes from time in the Dixon Park game between the Championship duo.

Ballyclare midfielder Sammy McIlveen was denied twice by the woodwork while Comrades keeper Paddy Flood kept out Jake Morrow's shot.

Cliftonville were 5-0 up inside the half-hour mark against PSNI in a one-side affair at Solitude.

Goals fly in at Solitude

Hughes slotted in a penalty and Garrett made it 2-0 on the rebound after Ciaran Caldwell's shot was palmed out by keeper Jordan Williamson.

Donnelly found the net from a tight angle and Hughes completed his double before a bizarre own goal from Scott McCrory.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Bizarre own goal in NI League Cup

From close to the touchline his attempted backpass flew over Williamson and into the PSNI net.

Garrett and Donnelly added second-half goals to complete the third-round rout over the Championship visitors.

Stuart Hutchinson headed over from close range for the Mallards early in the Ferney Park game before Linfield seized control.

A combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping from Richard Brush kept the Blues ay bay until the 58th-minute breakthrough.

Kirk Millar's corner was headed in at the near-post by Robinson and striker Waterworth was back among the goals seven minutes later.

Jordan Stewart runs away in celebration as the ball hits the Mallards net to make it 3-0
Jordan Stewart runs away in celebration as the ball hits the Mallards net to make it 3-0

Millar was again the provider with a pinpoint cross for Waterworth to powerfully guide past Brush.

Stewart sealed Linfield's progress on 79 minutes with the substitute rifling into the net from Matthew Clarke's cross.

"It's been a long 12 weeks and I'd like to pay tribute to our medical staff for getting me back on the pitch," said a delighted Waterworth.

"It's great to be back and it was nice to see the ball ripple the net again. It was one of those you couldn't miss.

"Mentally it's good to get that game over with and I am looking forward to the next one."

Bet McLean League Cup third round
Ballinamallard United0-3Linfield
Ballyclare Comrades1-0Institute