Scottish League Two round-up: Arbroath leapfrog Forfar into top spot

Ryan McCord in action for Arbroath
Ryan McCord's hat-trick for Arbroath took his tally to six goals in his last five games, and 13 for the season

Arbroath moved above long-time leaders Forfar into top spot in League Two with one game of the season remaining.

Ryan McCord hit a hat-trick as the Red Lichties beat Elgin 3-2 while Forfar drew 1-1 at bottom side Cowdenbeath.

Cowden remain three points behind Berwick and Clyde, who fought out a 1-1 draw at Broadwood. Neither are yet safe in the battle to avoid bottom spot.

Annan Athletic sealed their place in the promotion play-offs with a 5-1 thumping of Montrose.

Rabin Omar, Barry Cuddihy, Steven Swinglehurst and Raffi Krissian put Annan four up inside 18 minutes and any hopes of a comeback were ended by Iain Campbell's 33rd-minute dismissal.

Peter Weatherson grabbed a fifth before Kerr Hay nabbed a late consolation for Montrose, who remain in fourth - a point ahead of Elgin in the race to claim the final play-off spot.

Elgin's Jamie Reid endured an eventful afternoon for the visitors at Gayfield Park, cancelling out McCord's opener, only to get booked celebrating and then picked up a second yellow seven minutes later.

Arbroath's Jassem Sukar headed a late own goal to set up a tense finish.

Forfar went a goal down at Cowdenbeath when Robbie Buchanan fired into the top corner but the hosts' Shaun Rutherford was sent off after 54 minutes for violent conduct.

Danny Denholm's low effort levelled the contest, but Forfar failed to find a winner in the last 20 minutes despite their numerical advantage.

A win for Cowdenbeath at Elgin in the final round of fixtures next Saturday could see the Fifers secure safety on goal difference if either Clyde - who visit Montrose - or Berwick, who host Edinburgh City, suffer defeat.

David Gormley's penalty put Clyde ahead at Broadwood, but Johnny Fairbairn equalised 10 minutes into the second half.

Edinburgh City, who ensured their survival with last week's win over Annan, moved further clear of the bottom with a 1-0 victory over Stirling Albion thanks to Derek Riordan's last-minute winner.