Seamus Coleman: Republic boss O'Neill says no timescale on defender's recovery
Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill says no timescale has been put on Seamus Coleman's recovery from his horrific double leg fracture.
O'Neill told BBC Five Live's Sportsweek Coleman's operation had been a success following his injury in the World Cup qualifier against Wales on Friday.
"I'm not sure, I would only be guessing," said O'Neill, when asked how long Everton's Coleman could be out.
"Even the doctors and surgeons wouldn't be terribly sure."
The Republic boss added: "Sometimes there are complications afterwards and injuries can be more prolonged, other times it can be clean and clear sailing.
"It will take some time but Seamus has great determination and sometimes those things work very much in your favour, in terms of recovery."
At this stage, the Republic captain looks highly unlikely to feature in any of the remaining five World Cup qualifiers over the next seven months, with the possibility of an additional play-off double-header in November.
Doctors pleased with Coleman operation
O'Neill revealed that the 28-year-old defender's operation took place early on Saturday morning following Friday night's goalless draw.
"He has realised everything that has happened and is obviously very disappointed," said O'Neill.
"It will take some time to heal, it's a double break but it has been pinned up now and screwed in.
"I know the doctors and surgeons are all very, very pleased with the way the operation has gone and now it's time for recuperation."
Aston Villa defender Neil Taylor was sent off for the tackle on Coleman and O'Neill described the challenge and Gareth Bale's earlier tackle on John O'Shea as "very poor challenges".
The draw meant the Republic missed the chance to return to the top of Group D, after Serbia beat Georgia on Friday, with Wales four points behind in third.
The Republic's next qualifier takes place against Austria in Dublin on 11 June.