Walsall: Teams fear you when you are on a run, says Saddlers defender Scott Laird
Experienced Walsall defender Scott Laird says the in-form Saddlers could prove a team to be feared as the push for the League One play-offs hots up.
Tuesday's 1-0 win over struggling Chesterfield was a sixth straight home win for Jon Whitney's men, leaving them six points shy of a play-off place.
And, in the on-loan Scunthorpe United left-back, they have a man who know what it takes to win promotion.
"I've been involved in six play-off pushes," the 28-year-old told BBC WM.
"To get in the picture, you have to be hitting form at the right time. Teams start to fear you when you're a run and don't want to play you.
"The other teams will be looking and saying Walsall have won again."
Walsall were denied in the play-offs a year ago, well beaten over two legs by Barnsley in the semi-finals after the disappointment of missing out on an automatic place on the final day of the season.
But the Saddlers have real momentum, their current excellent home streak being their best run at Bescot since winning the first seven games during the League Two promotion-winning campaign under Richard Money 10 seasons ago.
Laird has twice won promotion at Stevenage and once at Preston, and had four other near-misses.
"The gaffer's built a new team here," he said. "It's taken a little while to get going, but it's a great time to hit a run of form. The home run is a great record for us but records are there to be broken. Right now, we've got a great feeling of coming together, that we can do something special."
Scott Laird's proud promotion record
- 08-09 Blue Square Premier - Finished 5th with Stevenage. Lost 4-3 on aggregate in play-off semi-finals to Cambridge United.
- 09-10 Blue Square Premier - Promoted as champions with Stevenage. Won title from Luton Town by 11 points.
- 10-11 League Two - Promoted with Stevenage. Finished 6th. Beat Torquay United 1-0 in play-off final at Old Trafford.
- 11-12 League One - Finished 6th with Stevenage. Lost 1-0 on aggregate in play-off semi-finals to to Sheffield United.
- 13-14 League One - Finished 5th with Preston. Lost 4-2 on aggregate in play-off semi-finals to Rotherham United.
- 14-15 League One - Promoted with Preston. Finished 3rd. Beat Swindon Town 4-0 in play-off final at Wembley.
- 15-16 League One - Finished 7th with Scunthorpe. Missed play-offs on goal difference to Barnsley, who beat Walsall in the semi-finals on their way up.
Scott Laird was talking to BBC WM's Rob Gurney.