Irish Cup: Bizarre goal helps Glenavon go through

Media playback is not supported on this device

Controversial goal in the Irish Cup 6th Round

Irish Cup holders Glenavon scored a controversial first goal as they beat Championship side Armagh City 2-0 in Saturday's sixth round.

James Gray's first-half score was allowed despite Armagh keeper John Connolly having the ball knocked out his grasp by Glenavon's Rhys Marshall.

Greg Moorhouse's penalty made it 2-0 to the Premiership side.

"The referee has admitted he got it wrong. It is hard to take, but what can you do," said keeper Connolly.

"We were well in the game - it was close.

"For a game like that to be changed in that way, well I have to be careful about what I say, but it was shocking."

Former Northern Ireland Under-21 striker Gray, who recently joined Glenavon club from Southport, said he had expected referee Arnold Hunter to stop play.

"I saw the ball rolling out to me and was going to knock it back to the keeper," said Gray.

"But the referee did not blow so I did when every striker would do - you put the ball in the net and ask questions later."

Championship side Armagh City feel hard done by in their Irish Cup defeat by Glenavon
Championship side Armagh City feel hard done by in their Irish Cup defeat by Glenavon

The seven Premiership teams in the last 16 all made it through to the quarter-finals.

League Cup finalists Ballymena United went behind away to Championship opposition when David Rainey fired H&W Welders into the lead.

But United debutant Kevin Braniff's equaliser forced extra-time and David Jeffrey's men took the lead through Tony Kane with Braniff making it 3-1 with his second goal.

Portadown, bottom of the Premiership, were trailing to an early goal scored by Loughgall's Peter Campbell but Shea McGerrigan and Tiernan Mulvenna clinched a 2-1 win for Niall Currie's visitors.

Cameron Stewart put Linfield into the lead at Drumahoe
Cameron Stewart of Linfield scored his second goal in two games

Second-half goals by David Cushley and Jordan Forsythe saw Premiership leaders Crusaders win 2-0 against Championship side PSNI who had keeper Jordan Williamson sent off late in the game.

Linfield, who have won the cup a record 42 times, progressed to the last eight by beating Institute, Cameron Stewart and Andrew Waterworth getting the goals at Drumahoe.

Institute's Aaron Harkin was sent-off as he picked up a second yellow for dissent after referee Ian McNab controversially disallowed a Mark Scoltock header which would have made it 1-1.

Jamie McGonigle's early goal was enough to give Coleraine a 1-0 home win over Tobermore United.

There will be one non-Premiership side in the quarter-finals as Championship leaders saw off Crewe United 5-0.

Conor McMenamin, Stephen Murray, Philip Donnelly, Liam McKenna and Curtis Dempster scored for Matt Tipton's side.

Tennent's Irish Cup sixth round results
Armagh City0-2Glenavon
Coleraine1-0Tobermore Utd
Dungannon Swifts4-1Dollingstown
H&W Welders1-3Ballymena Utd (13:30 GMT)
Warrenpoint Town5-0Crewe Utd
Draw quarter-finals
Ties to be played on Saturday, 4 March
Dungannon SwiftsvWarrenpoint Town
Ballymena UtdvColeraine