Irish Premiership: Ballinamallard 1-0 Portadown; Glenavon 2-2 Cliftonville

Media playback is not supported on this device

Ten-man Ballinamallard United beat bottom club Portadown in the Irish Premiership

Ballinamallard United pulled away from the danger zone by beating bottom club Portadown - despite being a man down for most of the basement battle.

Adam Lecky struck a 36th-minute winner for the County Fermanagh side just five minutes after Ross Taheny had been sent off for a foul on the edge of the box.

In Friday's other Premiership game, Glenavon raced into a 2-0 lead through goals by Guy Bates and Andy McGrory.

But Cliftonville's David McDaid and Stephen Garrett secured a 2-2 draw.

The draw moved Glenavon back into the top half of the table, taking over in sixth place from Dungannon Swifts who play Glentoran on Saturday.

It was a mistake by Cliftonville keeper Peter Burke which gifted the opening goal to Glenavon striker Bates.

McGrory quickly scored number two from close range after another mistake in the visitors' defence and Cliftonville - hammered 4-0 by Crusaders on Monday - looked in trouble.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Cliftonville hit back to draw 2-2 away to Glenavon

McDaid netted in front of goal from Martin Donnelly's right-wing cross on 22 minutes to pull one back.

Garrett headed the back-post equaliser from a James Knowles delivery in the 38th minute.

"At 2-0 down, I would have taken anything," admitted Cliftonville manager Gerard Lyttle.

"The boys battled back well and after the week we have had with injuries, illnesses and suspensions, a draw was probably fair."

The match at Ballinamallard burst into life when Portadown's Aaron Haire was brought down right on the edge of the penalty area on 31 minutes.

The Ports appealed for a penalty but referee Lee Tavinder awarded a free-kick right just outside he box.

A red card was initially shown to Ryan McConnell but was quickly corrected and Taheny was the man dismissed for the tackle.

Despite being a man down, the Mallards scored through a fine strike by Lecky in the 36th minute and that proved to be the match winner.

"I am delighted for everybody involved," said Ballinamallard manager Gavin Dykes.

"I said at half-time we needed the biggest 45 minutes of our lives to get anything out of the game and the lads showed great hunger and character."

Irish Premiership - Friday 30 December
Ballinamallard Utd1-0Portadown