League One: Struggling Stenhousemuir stun Airdrieonians

Stenhousemuir were winners over Airdrieonians
Stenhousemuir were winners over Airdrieonians

League One strugglers Stenhousemuir stunned 10-man Airdrieonians 5-0 in the promotion-chasers' back yard.

Leaders Livingston capitalised by extending their lead at the top to four points with a 2-1 win at Stranraer.

Peterhead and Alloa shared the honours in a 1-1 draw at Balmoor; while Queen's Park responded to a very early setback to prevail 2-1 at home to Albion Rovers.

East Fife beat Brechin City 1-0 to move out of the play-off spot.

Stenhousemuir forged ahead against Airdrieonians when Willis Furtado collected a poor Joe Gorman clearance and converted at the back post.

Within a couple of minutes, David Marsh headed in a second from Alan Cook's free-kick.

Matters worsened for the Diamonds when Daniel Boateng was sent off for a second yellow card and from the free-kick Cook steered the ball into the bottom corner.

Marsh netted from another dangerous Cook free-kick as Stenhousemuir pushed on after the interval. Carlos Martinez then fairly danced through the home defence to cap a staggering outcome.

Willie Gibson opened the scoring for Brian Reid's Stranraer after just five minutes with a rapier free-kick strike.

Livi had to wait until the last 13 minutes to square things up, but Dale Carrick eventually nodded in from Joshua Mullin's cross.

David Hopkin's men showed why they are top with a late winner as Raffaele De Vita was picked out by Joshua Mullin at the back-post.

Striker Ross Stewart shot the Albion Rovers in front after just three minutes with a close range redirection from a Ross Gilmour cross.

Ross Millen however levelled from the spot, and Paul Woods scored the winner with a long-range snapshot that goalkeeper Ross Stewart fumbled in.

The game came alive at the three-quarter mark when Fiacre Kelleher put the Blue Toon in front.

Jordan Kirkpatrick levelled with 15 minutes left from a Jon Robertson ball.

In the evening kick-off, Scott Robinson scored and was later sent off as East Fife boosted their survival hopes with a 1-0 win at play-off chasing Brechin, who saw Elliot Ford dismissed at the death.

Top Stories