Jersey Premiership: St Paul's go further clear with win over Scottish

St Paul's v Scottish
St Paul's have won nine of their 10 Jersey Premiership matches so far this season

Reigning Jersey Premiership champions St Paul's boosted their chances of a fourth successive title with a 2-1 win over rivals Jersey Scottish.

Saints kicked off two points clear at the top of the table, with three games in hand, but fell behind to Barry Keith's superb curling effort.

Striker Kieran Lester headed in from close range to pull his side level.

Cav Miley slotted in what turned out to be the winner five minutes before half time from a well-worked free-kick.

St Paul's and Scottish dominance
2015-16 title winners: St Paul's2014-15 title winners: St Paul's
2013-14 title winners: St Paul's2012-13 title winners: Scottish
2011-12 title winners: Scottish2010-11 title winners: St Paul's
2009-10 title winners: St Paul's2008-09 title winners: St Paul's
2007-08 title winners: St Paul's2006-07 title winners: Scottish

The two sides have dominated Jersey football for the past decade and again look likely to be the top two at the end of the season, but Scottish have had a dip in form in recent weeks with a 2-0 loss against St Ouen and draws with Rozel Rovers and St Peter.

They went ahead though inside 10 minutes when Keith's shot from outside the box flew into the top corner, giving goalkeeper Euan van der Vliet no chance.

St Paul's, unbeaten in the league so far this season, had much of the possession, and equalised midway through the first half when Lester scored at the far post.

With half-time approaching, Saints went ahead as Mikey Weir's low free-kick across the edge of the area was clinically dispatched first-time by Miley.

"We're clever enough to know that the league is not yours until someone hands you the trophy," said St Paul's player-coach Craig Leitch.

"It's not over until it's officially over and someone hands you that trophy and you're mathematically the champions, and that's the way we look at it."

St Paul's v Scottish
Jersey midfielders Jack Boyle and Luke Watson were on opposing sides at Springfield

Scottish had to play most of the second period with 10 men after Cliff de Silva went off injured following a tackle from Luke Watson.

Because of a string of recent injuries and player unavailability the Scots had no more substitutes left on the bench.

"We needed really to win tonight just to hang on to the St Paul's coat tails," Scottish manager Pat Brennan told BBC Radio Jersey.

"We just never had the play, we had too many bodies missing and I've got half my squad standing watching the game on the other side of the park."

The win takes St Paul's five points clear, still with their three games in hand over the Scots.

The sides will meet again on the final Saturday of the Premiership season on 3 May.