Saturday's League One reports

MK Dons 1-0 AFC Wimbledon

MK Dons marked Robbie Neilson's first home league game as as manager with victory over AFC Wimbledon.

The clubs, both offshoots of the old Wimbledon FC, have met four times, but never before in a league fixture, and the Dons have now won three.

Neilson's side were the most industrious throughout, restricting Wimbledon to just three shots on goal.

Dean Bowditch scored the game's only goal from the penalty spot after Dean Lewington was felled by Dannie Bulman.

The win was MK's first at home in the league in 16 games, dating back to 5 March last season when they were in the Championship, and the first since Neilson left Scottish Premiership side Hearts to take over from Karl Robinson on 2 December.

Despite the milestone win over a side that started life in the ninth tier of English football in 2002, the hosts remain 10 places and five points adrift of Neal Ardley's men.

While the fixture was another significant part of the two clubs' histories, it lacked the sort of fervour that surrounded their maiden meeting in the second round of FA Cup in 2012, a match with MK Dons won 2-1.

A crowd of 11,185 were at Stadium:MK with away support of almost 2,000, despite a boycott by a number of AFC Wimbledon fans.

Bradford City 0-0 Charlton

New manager Karl Robinson saw Charlton earn a goalless draw at fourth-placed Bradford in an exciting game of many chances and several narrow escapes at both ends of the pitch.

The result preserved Bradford's unbeaten home record but they had to settle for a point against a Charlton team who played the four minutes of stoppage time with 10 men after defender Patrick Bauer was sent off for a second yellow card.

In the first meeting of the clubs since they were both in the Premier League 15 years ago, Charlton gave the Bradford a defence a torrid time in the first half, hitting the post, seeing a shot cleared off the line and having a penalty appeal turned down.

The penalty appeal came in the ninth minute as Bradford defender Nathaniel Knight-Percival wrestled for the ball with the visitors' dangerous Northern Ireland international striker Josh Magennis.

Three minutes later Magennis saw his angled shot hit the far post and rebound to safety after running on to a pass from strike partner Nicky Ajose, while he also had a shot cleared off the line by Bradford right-back Stephen Darby after taking a pass from Lee Novak.

Bradford's best first-half chance was in the 37th minute when Nicky Law supplied a through pass for Jordy Hiwula, but goalkeeper Dillon Phillips came quickly off his line to block the shot.

The home side had the better of the second half with Hiwula again having their best chance. Mark Marshall played him through on goal in the 59th minute, but he was again denied by Phillips.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bristol Rovers 4-2 Bury

Matt Taylor netted his 16th goal of the season as Bristol Rovers returned to winning form with victory over League One strugglers Bury at the Memorial Stadium.

The visitors were on a 10-match losing streak in the league coming into the match but went in front after 25 minutes when James Vaughan headed down for Scott Burgess to net with a well-struck volley from just inside the box.

Rovers had already squandered two clear chances before Rory Gaffney netted a 32nd-minute equaliser, shooting home at the second attempt when Bury failed to clear a Lee Brown cross.

Another centre from the left in first-half stoppage time, this time from Charlie Colkett, was spilled by Bury keeper Ben Williams, allowing Taylor to slot the hosts in front.

Ollie Clarke's low drive from 20 yards made it 3-1 after 61 minutes, but Bury hit back with substitute George Miller shooting home when Rovers failed to clear a 75th-minute free-kick.

Peter Hartley restored Rovers two-goal lead with a shot following an 82nd-minute corner and Bury's misery was compounded two minutes from time when Neil Danns received a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Fleetwood 2-1 Walsall

Fleetwood recorded their first ever victory over Walsall at Highbury.

It took a fine solo effort from Ash Hunter to beat Walsall keeper Neil Etheridge and open the scoring in the 42nd minute.

The Fleetwood striker picked midfielder Joe Edwards' pocket in Walsall's half, raced towards the box and curled the ball into the net as Uwe Rosler's men continued their fine record of scoring in every league game.

Hunter was also involved in Fleetwood's second goal as his curling effort was tipped away by Etheridge but only into the path of Bobby Grant, who rifled the ball home in the 66th minute.

Out of nowhere Walsall pulled a goal back in the 77th minute as George Dobson's 25-yard effort swerved past a crowd of bodies into the middle of the goal to set up a tense finish.

The game ended on a sour note as Fleetwood midfielder Kyle Dempsey was carried off on a stretcher in injury time after coming off worse in a 50/50 challenge with Matt Preston.

But despite the injury blow Town held on and climbed to seventh in the League One table.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Millwall 0-1 Shrewsbury

Louis Dodds' first-half goal earned struggling Shrewsbury a first league win at Millwall for 54 years.

Dodds and Ivan Toney combined after 17 minutes before the midfielder calmly finished to seal the points.

Adam El-Abd and Jim O'Brien's last-ditch clearances kept the visitors ahead at half-time, but Millwall rarely threatened in the second half and Shrewsbury moved to within two points of escaping the relegation zone.

The hosts first threatened when, in the 15th minute, Shaun Williams' flighted ball found Lee Gregory, who flicked past Shrewsbury goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler, but El-Abd covered well.

Shrewsbury then took a deserved lead two minutes later, Dodds and Toney opening up the Millwall defence before Dodds slotted home.

The home side had two chances to draw level in the 23rd minute, but Fred Onyedinma dawdled and Harry Smith's header was clawed out by Leutwiler.

Leutwiler made a brilliant save in the 34th minute from El-Abd's sliced interception, before O'Brien cleared the resulting corner off the line.

The Swiss keeper also kept his side ahead after 75 minutes, denying Gregory a fantastic goal.

The striker cut in from the right and curled in a shot from 20 yards, but Leutwiler saved at full stretch.

Millwall almost snatched a late point, but Smith shinned over after 86 minutes before skipper Tony Craig somehow missed a header from four yards in the final minute.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Oxford United 1-1 Oldham Athletic

Rob Hall scored his first goal since returning to Oxford with a brilliant equaliser in an ill-tempered draw with struggling Oldham at the Kassam Stadium.

The winger, who re-joined the club over the summer, rifled a 20-yard drive into the top left corner of the goal after 54 minutes to cancel out Cameron Burgess' early opener.

Latics were reduced to 10 men four minutes after Hall's strike when Ousmane Fane fouled Marvin Johnson and was sent off for his second yellow card.

And later, Oxford boss Michael Appleton and a member of Oldham's coaching staff were both sent from the dug-out for remonstrating over a booking.

On-loan Fulham centre-half Burgess fired Oldham in front in the 10th minute.

Keeper Simon Eastwood failed to collect Ollie Banks' free-kick, and the ball ran loose for Burgess to knock into an empty net from five yards.

Almost immediately, Kane Hemmings should have levelled as he slid in to meet Chris Maguire's cross, but diverted the ball over the net from four yards.

Oxford dominated the second half and Connor Ripley saved well from Chris Maguire, Marvin Johnson twice and Chey Dunkley as Latics held out for a point under severe pressure.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Peterborough 5-2 Chesterfield

Play-off contenders Peterborough brought Chesterfield's revival to a halt with a home victory on an afternoon of spectacular goals.

Posh hit the front after just 25 seconds as Tom Nichols steered in a Paul Taylor cut-back, but they found themselves trailing to two deflected goals in quick succession.

Goalkeeper Luke McGee was wrong-footed as Ched Evans levelled in the 22nd minute before Liam O'Neil looped in his first Spireites goal from 25 yards.

Posh ace Gwion Edwards produced a stunning equaliser on the stroke of half-time when darting inside and launching a long-range blast past Ryan Fulton.

They restored their advantage in similarly classy style nine minutes into the second period when Taylor exchanged passes with Nichols before slamming home a first-time shot from just outside the box.

The same two men tormented Chesterfield again 10 minutes later with Taylor releasing top-scorer Nichols to bag his eighth of the season.

Michael Bostwick completed a rampant second-half showing from Posh with a typically thunderous blast from 20 yards with eight minutes to go.

Chesterfield's misery was compounded when defender Lawrence Maguire was carried off on a stretcher.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Port Vale 2-3 Northampton

Northampton ended a four-game losing streak as they ran out winners over Port Vale at Vale Park.

Goals from Gabriel Zakuani, Sam Hoskins and Paul Anderson secured Vale's former boss Rob Page all three points on his first return to his former club, with Ryan Taylor and Rigino Cicilia replying for the home side.

The visitors took the lead after 22 minutes when Zakuani beat his marker and stooped to powerfully head home Matt Taylor's out-swinging corner.

A bit of fortune helped Vale back into the game seven minutes into the second half when Taylor miscued a shot following a corner, only for the ball to land at his feet before slotting into the empty net.

Northampton went ahead 12 minutes from time when the ball fell to Hoskins in the six-yard box following a corner, before he smashed home into the roof of the net.

The Cobblers increased their advantage at the end of 90 minutes when Paul Anderson tapped home after Jak Alnwick twice denied Marc Richards.

Cicilia pulled one back for Vale two minutes into stoppage time but it was not enough as Northampton held on.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Rochdale 3-2 Scunthorpe

League One leaders Scunthorpe suffered their third defeat of the season as Rochdale registered a victory at Spotland.

The Iron scored twice in the last 10 minutes to make a contest of it, but they left themselves with too much to do after falling 3-0 down midway through the second half.

The visitors were fortunate to go in only a goal down at half-time after Rochdale had seen an Ian Henderson finish ruled out for handball and Iron goalkeeper Luke Daniels brilliantly saved Harrison McGahey's shot.

Dale got the breakthrough they deserved in the 41st minute when Joe Thompson side-footed home Joe Bunney's delivery.

Keith Hill's team doubled their lead in the 53rd minute through Oliver Rathbone and appeared to have made the result safe when substitute Calvin Andrew made it three with 15 minutes remaining.

Substitute Tom Hopper's 81st-minute close-range finish offered Scunthorpe a glimmer of hope and Graham Alexander's men set up a tense finale when Josh Morris' free-kick was side-footed home by Neal Bishop shortly afterwards.

But Rochdale hung on for a victory their performance deserved.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Sheffield United 4-0 Swindon Town

Sheffield United continued their promotion push with a decisive win over Swindon at Bramall Lane.

Mark Duffy bagged a brace while Paul Coutts and substitute Caolan Lavery also scored as the Blades moved second in League One.

The visitors had the better of the opening exchanges but the hosts grew into the game with creative midfielder Duffy at the centre of the action.

Level at half-time, United started the second period with greater urgency and were ahead after 52 minutes.

Duffy's sliced shot was initially saved by Lawrence Vigouroux, but the goalkeeper spilled the ball and was unable to prevent it crossing the line.

The Blades had a second two minutes later as Duffy laid the ball off for Coutts, who smashed home from 16 yards.

Duffy's second and United's third after an hour put the game beyond Swindon, as he slotted past Vigouroux from Billy Sharp's cross.

It was 4-0 when substitute Lavery found the far corner from close range in the 77th minute.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Southend 3-1 Coventry City

Southend made it nine League One games unbeaten with a convincing win over struggling Coventry at Roots Hall.

The Shrimpers went in front after just six minutes when Anthony Wordsworth fired home from 12 yards after a bright burst into the box by Jason Demetriou.

The Sky Blues hit back with goalkeeper Mark Oxley doing well to deny both Andy Rose and Daniel Agyei before visiting shot-stopper Lee Burge was forced off injured in the 44th minute after being clattered into by Nile Ranger.

But Southend got back on top after the break and doubled their lead in the 64th minute when Anton Ferdinand volleyed home from close range after being picked out by Ryan Leonard's header from a Wordsworth free-kick.

Phil Brown's side made it 3-0 in the 69th minute as Stephen McLaughlin's right-footed shot struck the inside of the left post before hitting the back of substitute goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cook and rolling into the net.

The fortuitous strike heaped further misery on Coventry, who sit in the relegation zone, but they did net a late-minute consolation strike when Agyei scored from close range.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories

Get Inspired Activity Finder

Run by the BBC and partners

Find ways to get active near you: