Caf reveals 2016 player awards shortlists
The Confederation of African Football has released its shortlists for the African Player of the Year and Africa-based African Player of the Year.
The candidates for African Player of the Year are:
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Gabon and Borrusia Dortmund
- Riyad Mahrez of Algeria and Leicester
- Sadio Mane of Senegal and Liverpool
- Mohamed Salah of Egypt and Roma
- Islam Slimani of Algeria and Leicester
Click here for Caf's profiles of the candidates.
The candidates for the Africa-based African Player of the Year are:
- Khama Billiat of Mamelodi Sundowns and Zimbabwe
- Keegan Dolly of Mamelodi Sundowns and South Africa
- Rainford Kalaba of TP Mazembe and Zambia
- Hlompho Kekana of Mamelodi Sundowns and South Africa
- Denis Onyango of Mamelodi Sundowns and Uganda
Full profiles of the candidates are available here.
The top five in each category was decided by votes from the members of the Caf Media Committee, Caf Technical & Development Committee and half of the 20-member Panel of Experts.
For the final phase, votes from the Head Coaches/Technical Directors of the 54 National Associations affiliated to Caf plus Associate Members, Reunion Island and Zanzibar, together with the other half of the 20-member Panel of Experts will be counted towards the determination of the eventual winners.
The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony in Abuja, Nigeria on Thursday, 5 January 2017.