Scottish League Two: Edinburgh claim first league win as Forfar go clear

Edinburgh City scorer Dougie Gair
Dougie Gair's penalty gave Edinburgh City a first League Two win

Edinburgh City claimed their first-ever win in Scottish League Two as leaders Forfar Athletic extended their advantage at the top to four points.

City, who won last season's Lowland League, were 1-0 victors away to Montrose, with Dougie Gair converting a second-half penalty.

Forfar were 3-0 winners away to Stirling while nearest challengers Elgin lost 2-1 to third-placed Clyde.

Nine-man Berwick and Cowdenbeath drew, while Arbroath beat Annan Athletic.

At Links Park, Edinburgh's Ross Allum was fouled by Kieran McWalter and Gair netted from 12 yards.

The capital side, who had won their first game of the season by beating Forfar in the Scottish Cup on Tuesday, now trail Montrose by two points.

Forfar took the lead at Forthbank Stadium when Andy Munro connected with Lewis Milne's low cross and Gavin Swankie's header and David Cox's curling strike completed the league leaders' win over Stirling Albion.

Clyde went two up against visitors Elgin City - David Gormley and Peter MacDonald scoring in quick succession - and City were only able to get one back through Darryl McHardy. The two sides are now level on points.

Arbroath are the other side in the promotion play-off zone and they secured a stoppage-time win at Galabank.

Steven Swinglehurst's six-yard effort had put Annan ahead, but Mark Whatley levelled for the visitors before Josh Skelly's late winner.

Arbroath trail Elgin and Clyde by three points but are now three clear of Berwick Rangers.

Berwick went ahead against Cowden through Greg Rutherford's strike, but the visitors had the chance to level after Steven Thomson was dismissed for a handball in the penalty area.

Dean Brett missed the spot-kick and the hosts looked on course for victory until stoppage time.

First, Steven Notman was sent off for a challenge on Brett and then Cameron Muirhead levelled for Cowdenbeath.