Saturday's FA Cup first round reports M-Y

MK Dons 3-2 Spennymoor Town

Spennymoor Town's historic FA Cup run came to an end on Saturday as managerless MK Dons held off a fightback by their non-league opponents.

The tie looked all but secure for the League One side inside 15 minutes, with goals from Ben Reeves, Brandon Thomas-Asante, and Kieran Agard.

But Joe Tait snatched a quick response in the 19th minute before Andrew Johnson's strike with five minutes to go ensured a grandstand finish.

It took the hosts little more than seven minutes to take the lead when Reeves fired a low right-footed shot past Moors keeper Dan Lowson from the edge of the area.

And the 28-year-old stopper was left picking the ball out of his own net twice in quick succession as MK eased themselves into a comfortable lead.

Thomas-Asante made it 2-0 with a tap in after Dean Lewington's cross found the 17-year-old unmarked in the six-yard box, before Agard's cross-cum-shot bundled its way into the visitors' bottom corner.

But Jason Ainsley's Northern Premier League side - making their first-ever appearance in the first round - got on the scoresheet five minutes later as former Hartlepool defender Tait rose above his marker to meet Craig Gott's cross with a cushioned header into the far corner.

Second half Moors substitute Johnson then made it a nervy finish for the Dons with an emphatic solo goal just five minutes from time - but it proved to be too little too late.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Mansfield Town 1-2 Plymouth Argyle

David Fox's first goal for Plymouth Argyle 10 minutes from time saw them into the hat for the second round of the FA Cup after a hard-fought win at Mansfield Town.

The Stags dominated for long spells and had the best of the chances, but twice found themselves behind.

For the second successive home game the Stags lost possession and were punished on the counter-attack as Jordan Slew ran onto the ball in his own half and raced clear on 14 minutes, leaving Jamie McGuire in his wake, and he slotted home across Brian Jensen and off the far post.

It was their only effort of the half with Argyle keeper Luke McCormick by far the busier.

He stopped a tame early Matt Green effort, tipped away a curling James Baxendale shot, made a fine block from Ashley Hemmings and watched a Mitch Rose blast sail over the bar.

But Mansfield were level on 58 minutes as Green flicked on a Rose cross and Hemmings blasted home a rising shot under the far angle from the far post.

Hemmings twice came close to another, firing just wide and hitting a post.

But the Pilgrims, who have only lost once in 16 games snatched it as Slew fed Fox to fire home an excellent finish from 18 yards.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Merstham 0-5 Oxford Utd

League One Oxford United eased to victory at seventh-tier Merstham in the FA Cup first round.

Alex MacDonald's firmly struck free-kick gave the visitors an early lead and Josh Ruffels headed in a Marvin Johnson cross just before the break.

U's keeper Simon Eastwood had to get down well to stop a deflected Dan Hector effort before Kane Hemmings finished well after being played in.

Tyler Roberts made it 4-0 from a tight angle before Hemmings tapped home.

Merstham, from the Isthmian League Presmier Division, attracted a crowd of 1,920 for the game - about 10 times their normal home attendance.

They played with spirit throughout, but Dan Bennett's tap-in, which was disallowed for offside, was the closest they came to a consolation goal.

Northampton Town 6-0 Harrow Borough

High-flying Northampton Town had no problems in advancing past non-league Harrow Borough in the first round of the FA Cup.

Early goals from Paul Anderson and skipper Marc Richards put the League One outfit on their way to a straightforward success.

Harrow started brightly but were rocked in the sixth minute when they failed to clear from a Northampton attack and the ball fell kindly for Anderson to fire into the top corner from the edge of the box.

The Cobblers doubled their advantage five minutes later when David Buchannan crossed for Richards to nip in and score from close range.

Zander Diamond should have increased Northampton's lead from Matt Taylor's free-kick but he missed from close range.

The visitors recovered and had a couple of chances before the break, Josh Webb firing wide before Marc Charles-Smith tested keeper Adam Smith.

Richards scored the third in the 54th minute, heading home a cross from substitute John-Joe O'Toole.

O'Toole headed wide and Sam Hoskins was also off target before he rattled the bar from 25 yards, but O'Toole put the tie beyond doubt in the 70th minute when he headed home after being found by JJ Hooper's flick-on.

Taylor added a trademark fifth goal in the 82nd minute, curling home another free-kick from 20 yards before substitute Alex Revell crossed for Hooper to grab a sixth goal in stoppage time.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Oldham Ath 2-1 Doncaster

League One strugglers Oldham eased into the FA Cup second round with a home win over Doncaster.

Ryan Flynn and Billy McKay were on target against League Two Rovers, who were always second best after naming a team with eight changes from their last league game.

Oldham wasted a glorious chance in the 15th minute as Lee Erwin missed the target from close range after being found by Ryan McLaughlin.

Rovers keeper Marko Marosi denied Erwin after 34 minutes, making a fine full-length save when the on-loan Leeds striker let fly from outside the box.

Oldham deservedly took the lead in first-half stoppage time as Peter Clarke headed down an Ollie Banks cross and Flynn produced a cool six-yard finish.

Doncaster's Matthieu Baudry was at fault for the second Latics goal as he lost possession on 53 minutes, allowing Flynn to break away and set up McKay to drill home from 12 yards.

Matty Blair and John Marquis could have pulled one back for Rovers, but it was almost 3-0 when Flynn fired wide.

Doncaster did score a consolation goal in injury time when Liam Mandeville converted a penalty after being pulled down by Cameron Burgess.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Peterborough 2-1 Chesham Utd

Shaq Coulthirst's double ensured Peterborough saw off non-league minnows Chesham in the FA Cup first round.

The team sitting eighth in League One were second-best for much of the first period against Southern League Premier Division opponents.

Posh eventually hit the front through a long-range thunderbolt from Coulthirst five minutes before the break.

Marcus Maddison, Michael Smith and substitute Gwion Edwards all squandered glorious opportunities in the second half before Coulthirst doubled the lead with 20 minutes to go, sliding in to meet a low Smith delivery from the right.

But Chesham, who are 94 places below their hosts in the English football pecking order, refused to roll over.

They halved their arrears when Ryan Blake - who struck in their famous first-round win at Bristol Rovers last season - pounced on a weak Michael Bostwick back pass to score.

Chesham were not far away from earning a replay when Bruce Crilley put a late diving header over from a corner, but there was no fairytale fightback for Andy Leese's men.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Port Vale 1-0 Stevenage

Port Vale progressed to the second round of the FA Cup as they dispatched Stevenage at Vale Park.

Remie Streete netted the decisive goal with a header in the 38th minute.

The Boro found the net in the 23rd minute when Ben Kennedy tapped home following a goalmouth scramble, but his effort was disallowed for offside.

Vale took the lead 15 minutes later when Streete climbed highest at the back post to meet Jerome Thomas' cross from the left.

In the second half, Charlie Lee came close to finding an equaliser as he fired a low shot narrowly wide of the post and had a header smothered by Jak Alnwick, while Jack King had a goal-bound effort blocked.

Substitute Anthony de Freitas should have doubled the Valiant's lead in the 74th minute but missed the target when he raced onto Thomas' clever backheel.

His miss almost proved costly when Matthew Godden was slipped through in the fifth minute of injury-time, but the forward struck the post.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Portsmouth 1-2 Wycombe

Adebayo Akinfenwa struck seven minutes from time to give Wycombe to knock out 2008 winners Portsmouth out of the FA Cup.

Paris Cowan-Hall gave Wycombe a deserved first-half lead but a failure to convert their other chances threatened to haunt them when Gareth Evans levelled for Pompey on 47 minutes.

But the Chairboys' burly striker, nicknamed 'The Beast', booked their place in the second-round draw with a looping late header.

Wycombe were good value for their half-time lead and fired a couple of warning shots across Pompey's bows before Cowan-Hall gave them the lead.

On 16 minutes, Matt Bloomfield cleverly allowed the ball to run across his body and created space to crack a left-footed shot against the post from 20 yards and four minutes later Cowan-Hall broke clear on the left and his angled shot was kept out by keeper David Forde's legs.

But Forde was found wanting on 26 minutes when he miscued his punch as a free-kick was fired into a crowded goalmouth and the ball broke to Cowan-Hall, who nodded into the unguarded net against the club where he began his career.

Pompey failed to get a shot on target in a lukewarm first-half performance and Chairboys keeper Jamal Blackman was only called into action to dive at Noel Hunt's feet as he chased a through ball from Milan Lalkovic.

Within two minutes of the restart Pompey were level when Enda Stevens broke down the left and his inviting cross was met with a crisp first-time finish by Gareth Evans.

Pompey pressed to settle the tie at the first time of asking and substitute Carl Baker's powerful effort produced a stunning save from Blackman, while at the other end Forde arched up to tip Wycombe sub Myles Weston's chip over the bar.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Shrewsbury Town 3-0 Barnet

Shrewsbury cruised into the FA Cup second round with a home victory over Barnet.

First-half goals from Mat Sadler and Ajay Leitch-Smith set the Shrews on their way before Jack Grimmer added a third after half-time.

Barnet carried an early threat from set-pieces, and central defender Bira Dembele twice went close in quick succession, forcing a save from goalkeeper Jayson Leutwiler at his near post before heading another Curtis Weston corner just wide.

Shrewsbury took the lead in the 27th minute when defender Sadler reacted quickest to turn in the rebound after Jim O'Brien's 20-yard free-kick came back off the crossbar.

The League One side doubled their advantage five minutes later as Leitch-Smith headed in a left-wing cross from strike partner Ivan Toney.

Leitch-Smith was then denied by a sharp save low to his left from goalkeeper Jamie Stephens, but Grimmer made the game safe.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Stockport County 2-4 Woking

Gozie Ugwu scored twice as Woking recorded their first away win of the season by beating Stockport County to reach the second round of the FA Cup.

Jimmy Ball had given National League North side Stockport the lead, and added another in the second half, but goals for Joey Jones, Ugwu and Fabio Saraiva sent the side one division above through.

Stockport took the lead in the ninth minute at Edgeley Park after a stunning 25-yard strike from Hatters' forward Ball.

Woking defender Jones levelled the scores nine minutes later when he headed in his side's first corner of the game.

The visitors then took the lead for the first time just after the half-hour mark when Woking striker Ugwu slotted past Hatters' goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe from six yards out following a smart Woking break.

Ball then scored his second of the match to equalise for Stockport on the stroke of half time, side-footing home from close range.

Woking then punished the Hatters' failure to be clinical early in the second half when they regained the lead just before the hour when Ugwu stroked a low hard shot past the onrushing Hinchliffe.

And substitute Saraiva sealed the victory at the death with a low drive that nestled into the bottom corner.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Walsall 0-1 Macclesfield Town

National League side Macclesfield produced an FA Cup shock as they dumped out League One Walsall.

There are 46 places between the clubs but John McCombe's header enhanced the Silkmen's giant-killing reputation, having beaten Swindon and Cardiff in the cup in recent seasons.

Walsall could have led after nine minutes as Joe Edwards ran half the length of the pitch, but was denied a superb solo goal by Craig Ross's low save.

Macclesfield's winner came in the 23rd minute when Walsall goalkeeper Neil Etheridge rushed from his box to foul Paul Lewis out wide and McCombe glanced home the resulting free-kick from Danny Whitaker.

Etheridge redeemed himself with a superb fingertip save to claw Danny Rowe's 20-yard strike away from the bottom corner.

Walsall ended the half strongly but could not find an equaliser as Erhun Oztumer's fierce strike was kept out by the strong palm of Ross.

Etheridge's poor clearance almost gifted Macclesfield a second goal in the first minute of the second half but Jack Sampson struck the post from a tight angle.

The miss never looked like proving costly, though, as Macclesfield defended superbly and almost grabbed a late second as Whitaker curled inches wide.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Westfields 1-1 Curzon Ashton

Adam Morgan's late equaliser earned Curzon Ashton a draw and forced the lowest side still in the FA Cup, Westfields, into a first-round replay.

Craig Jones had given Westfields, who play in the ninth tier of English football, a dream start when he fired a ninth-minute penalty low and hard into the net to put his side in front.

Curzon, the Greater Manchester side from National League North, enjoyed the majority of possession but the home side always looked dangerous on the counter and deserved their lead going into the interval.

Marshalled by the superb James Febery, the Westfields defence stood firm and the home side almost doubled their advantage when Jones met Richard Greaves' pass on the hour mark.

But the linesman's flag came to Westfields' rescue when Kane Kahaki turned the ball into his own net with 20 minutes to go.

And with less than 10 minutes remaining, Westfields' hearts were broken as Morgan was quickest to react when a Luke Clarke corner created panic in the goalmouth.

Ashton continued to press in the closing stages but Westfields goalkeeper Kieron Blackburn claimed a number of dangerous crosses to ensure the game finished level and set up a replay for his side.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Whitehawk 1-1 Stourbridge

Dan Scarr earned Stourbridge an FA Cup first-round replay as they came from behind to draw with Whitehawk.

Glen Southam initially fired Whitehawk into the lead as they looked to make it six victories in a row in all competitions, before Scarr levelled.

Stourbridge had the first chance of the game in the seventh minute when Luke Benbow found himself in on goal from a long ball over the top, but the striker dragged his shot wide.

Whitehawk took the lead in the 12th minute after Southam dispossessed Brian Smikle outside the area before firing a 20-yard shot into the roof of the net.

But the Glassboys equalised when Scarr rifled a half-volley into the back of the net after the home side failed to clear Chris Lait's cross.

Benbow then almost put the away side into the lead in the 73rd minute but home goalkeeper Ross Flitney was able to get his fingertips on the ball to flick it over the crossbar.

And the game ended in controversy as Whitehawk substitute Sergio Torres volleyed in from 30 yards in time added on but referee Robert Whitton blew for full-time just as the ball left his foot.

Hawks goalkeeper Flitney was sent off for his protests.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Yeovil Town 2-2 Solihull Moors

Solihull Moors came from two goals down to earn a deserved replay at Yeovil.

The Glovers looked to be cruising into the second round after Ryan Hedges and Otis Khan fired them into a two-goal lead, but a careless red card for Kevin Dawson and a quick-fire brace from Jack Byrne earned the Midlanders a spirited draw.

It took Yeovil just eight minutes to go in front as Hedges fired past goalkeeper Danny Lewis from inside the box.

Ben Whitfield came close to doubling the hosts' lead, before Khan did score Yeovil's second goal early in the second half when he curled home a delightful free-kick.

The game turned when Dawson, already on a yellow card, was dismissed for a needless foul on Jamie Osborne as Yeovil lost their heads.

Byrne took advantage and pulled a goal back with a well-taken shot from the edge of the box, and he found space from a near-identical position six minutes later to pull Solihull level.

Substitute Akwasi Asante had a late chance to earn Solihull a famous cup upset but he fired his shot over the crossbar.

Report supplied by the Press Association.