Saturday's FA Cup first round reports B-L

Bolton 1-0 Grimsby Town

Liam Trotter scored the only goal as Bolton scraped nervously past Grimsby in the FA Cup to chalk up a seventh successive win in all competitions.

The League One high-flyers looked set for a comfortable day at the Macron Stadium when former Mariners loanee Trotter headed home Zach Clough's corner for his second goal of the season after 20 minutes.

Several chances went begging for Phil Parkinson's side and Jamie Proctor rattled the post but their failure to put the game beyond the plucky League Two outfit nearly cost Bolton dear.

Grimsby came into their own after the break. Brandon Comley was denied by a brilliant Mark Howard save at point-blank range and Scott Vernon headed narrowly wide from Danny Andrew's left-wing cross.

James McKeown made two important saves from Sammy Ameobi and Proctor as Bolton - playing their first game at this stage of the cup since 1992 - made a rare foray into opposition territory.

Backed by nearly 2,000 travelling fans, Dave Moore's side pushed hard for a replay and nearly snatched one after substitute Rhys Browne stabbed a late effort towards goal but it was tipped round the post by Howard.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bradford City 1-2 Accrington

Jordan Clark scored a late winner as Accrington Stanley stunned League One pacesetters Bradford with victory at Valley Parade. in the FA Cup first round

It was Bradford's first home defeat of the season and the second time that League Two Stanley have beaten the Bantams this season, having won on penalties at home in the EFL Cup in August.

Bradford began well, almost taking the lead in the third minute when Mark Marshall crossed to the far post where James Hanson's header was cleared off the line by Mark Hughes.

Accrington went in front after 30 minutes though with a goal by Romuald Boco, who had seen his 25-yard shot rebound off the crossbar 13 minutes earlier.

Sean McConville delivered a cross from the right and Boco scored with a near-post header.

Bradford keeper Colin Doyle did well to deny the visitors a second goal, diving full length to save Clark's shot from the edge of the penalty area early in the second half, before the home side managed an equaliser in the 72nd minute.

Substitute Billy Clarke delivered an inswinging corner from the right and Matthew Kilgallon scored with a close-range header.

Accrington continued to attack and were rewarded with a winning goal in the 80th minute when Boco flicked the ball into the path of Clark on the left and he scored with a superb angled shot.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Braintree Town 7-0 Eastbourne

Braintree made history with a seven-goal hammering of National League South side Eastbourne to reach the FA Cup second round for the first time.

The game was effectively wrapped up in a clinical opening 21 minutes from the Iron, who are currently 22nd in the National League.

They took the lead after just six minutes when Monty Patterson scored as he followed up Michael Cheek's back-post header which was saved by Lewis Carey.

The lead was doubled five minutes later as Patterson's corner was met by the head of former Wolves defender George Elokobi.

The third goal came in the 21st minute when Oli Muldoon's free-kick took a deflection and the ball rolled into the net.

Eastbourne attacked but struggled to find the target and Lee Barnard made it 4-0 in the 68th minute as he scored from close range after Sim Akinola's lob over Carey hit the post.

Barnard bagged a second six minutes later from the penalty spot after Akinola was fouled, before Elokobi added the sixth after heading in another corner.

The rout was completed by stand-in skipper Akinola as he curled home a beautiful effort late on.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Bury 2-2 AFC Wimbledon

Bury had to settle for an FA Cup replay after League One rivals AFC Wimbledon fought back to force a draw.

Hallam Hope opened the scoring in the 27th minute and struck again just 90 seconds later to put the hosts in charge at half-time.

But Lyle Taylor pulled one back just after the hour before substitute Tom Elliott completed the Dons' comeback six minutes later.

Bury's James Vaughan went close twice early on, while Taylor and Tom Beere dragged shots wide for the Dons.

Jacob Mellis then forced James Shea to parry before Hope latched on to Vaughan's flick to lob the visiting keeper.

Moments later Zeli Ismail found Hope in the right channel and the striker fired inside the far post to double Bury's lead.

Chris Robertson went close over as the Dons looked to get back in the game, before Taylor beat the offside trap to fire into the top corner.

Chris Whelpdale was then denied by Ben Williams but moments later fellow sub Dean Parrett crossed for Elliott to head home.

Bury went closest to winning it as Shea denied Hope, with Ismail volleying the rebound over.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Cambridge Utd 1-1 Dover Ath

Ricky Miller grabbed a late equaliser as National League side Dover earned an FA Cup replay with a draw at Cambridge.

Miller turned the ball home from close range after Ross Lafayette's cross from the left fell to him eight minutes from time, having earlier been denied by a low save from Will Norris.

Dover almost took an early lead through Lafayette, who ran on to Mitch Walker's long clearance and fired a shot which was deflected just wide.

Cambridge grew into the game and saw Uche Ikpeazu thump the crossbar with an effort following Piero Mingoia's cross, before Max Clark fired just over from 25 yards.

Their pressure paid off seven minutes before the interval when Luke Berry's shot was spilled by Walker and the ball fell to Mingoia, who turned home from close range.

Ikpeazu should have sealed the game after 72 minutes but blazed over after being played in by Mingoia following a quick breakaway and the Us were made to rue the miss when Miller struck late on.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Charlton Ath 3-1 Scunthorpe Utd

Ademola Lookman's double secured Charlton's progression into the second round of the FA Cup after victory over League One rivals Scunthorpe.

Skipper Johnnie Jackson also fired home for the Addicks as they saw off a second-half fightback from the visitors courtesy of substitute Tom Hopper's header.

Following early Scunthorpe dominance, it was Charlton who took the lead through a sublime left-foot strike from Lookman as the first-half substitute converted his fourth goal of the season in style.

The hosts doubled their lead six minutes later courtesy of Jackson's fine low finish.

The visitors managed to pull a goal back seven minutes into the second half as Hopper headed home from a Josh Morris corner.

The Iron nearly levelled moments later but defender Charlie Goode saw his shot deflected onto the post before Kevin Van Veen's follow-up was denied by Declan Rudd.

It was the 1947 winners who sealed their place in the next round as Lookman fired past Daniels from close range in the 83rd minute.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Cheltenham 1-1 Crewe

Crewe came back from a goal down to earn a replay against 10-man Cheltenham Town.

Cheltenham midfielder Kyle Storer was sent off for lashing out at James Jones in the first half and the hosts still managed to take the lead through Billy Waters.

But Jones had the final say when he finished a well-worked move after 73 minutes.

Waters missed a good chance in the 33rd minute, but he rolled his shot past the post after James Dayton's cross found him in the six-yard box.

The 10 men went closest to opening the scoring before half-time when Dayton's corner found Aaron Downes, whose header was cleared off the line by Oliver Turton.

Alex Kiwomya set up Ryan Lowe for a chance in the 56th minute, but Russell Griffiths blocked the shot, which was straight at him.

Cheltenham took the lead two minutes later as Rob Dickie's close range attempt was well saved by Ben Garratt, but Waters followed up to score his sixth goal of the season.

Harry Davis saw a shot bounce just wide in the 69th minute as Crewe searched for an equaliser, which eventually came when Cooper set up Jones.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Colchester Utd 1-2 Chesterfield

Ched Evans grabbed the winner as Chesterfield ended their long run without a victory by triumphing at Colchester United in the FA Cup first round.

Evans went close for Chesterfield early on before the visitors went ahead midway through the first half when Jay O'Shea calmly slotted in from close range from Kristian Dennis' threaded pass.

Sam Walker pushed away O'Shea's low effort soon after, but Kurtis Guthrie's diving header flashed inches wide and Drey Wright was denied by keeper Ryan Fulton.

Colchester needed just 53 seconds to equalise after the interval when substitute Tarique Fosu netted with his first touch after coming on with a low finish, after the ball had broken to him in the area.

Colchester captain Luke Prosser's header from Wright's corner then rattled the bar.

But Chesterfield restored their advantage six minutes into the second half through Evans, who emphatically volleyed home after Tom Anderson had nodded on a free-kick in the area.

Guthrie was later denied by Fulton but Chesterfield claimed a narrow victory.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Crawley Town 1-1 Bristol Rovers

Ten-man Crawley came from a goal down to deservedly take League One Bristol Rovers to an FA Cup replay with a 1-1 draw at the Stadium.

Defender Lee Brown drove Rovers ahead early on but Billy Clifford replied before Crawley had Andre Blackman sent off for two bookable offences.

Rovers went ahead after 15 minutes when left-back Brown struck from a controversial free-kick.

Skipper Jimmy Smith was adjudged to have brought down Ellis Harrison some 40 yards from goal and Hiram Boateng rolled the free-kick to Brown, who netted with a low left-footed strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

Crawley hit back to equalise when former Cheltenham midfielder Clifford received a pass from Lewis Young and hit his first goal for the club from 12 yards.

The hosts ended the half on top with Dutch midfielder Enzio Boldewijn forcing keeper Kelle Roos to save before Roos parried a goal-bound shot from top scorer James Collins.

Harrison was off target for Rovers shortly after the break before Bobson Bawling headed wide at the other end from Collins' cross.

Crawley were reduced to 10 men on 69 minutes when defender Blackman, booked earlier for dissent, received another caution from referee Darren Deadman for the same offence.

Rovers almost snatched victory in the last minute, Crawley keeper Glenn Morris saving superbly from Boateng.

Report supplied by Press Association

Dag & Red 0-0 FC Halifax Town

FC Halifax Town earned themselves an FA Cup first round replay with Dagenham & Redbridge after a goalless draw at Victoria Road.

In an entertaining first-round tie, Halifax were good value for a replay and will perhaps feel unfortunate to have not advanced at the first attempt.

Captain Liam King spurned the best chance of the game during an end-to-end first half, firing over from just four yards following Tom Denton's knock-down.

Dagenham were far from their best. Sitting third in the National League, the Daggers' potent front three of Jordan Maguire-Drew, Corey Whitely and Oliver Hawkins were unable to click on a frustrating afternoon.

Maguire-Drew looked threatening from set pieces, testing Steven Drench on a number of occasions, as John Still's side searched in vain for a decisive breakthrough.

National League North representatives Halifax were grateful to Drench during the opening 45 minutes, denying Whitely from point-blank range twice.

Firstly the Shayman stopper was on hand to paw away the winger's goal-bound header before reacting instinctively to push Whitely's shot off target.

A real scrap emerged in the second half with both sides struggling to take control, meaning Dagenham will head north for a first-round replay on 15 November.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Dartford 3-6 Sutton Utd

Doubles from Sutton United's Ross Stearn and Roarie Deacon ended Dartford's 12-game unbeaten run in a frenetic 6-3 FA Cup first-round victory at Princes Park.

Elliot Bradbrook and Duane Ofori-Acheampong dragged the hosts level three times, but goals from Deacon, Craig Eastmond, Maxime Biamou and Stearn clinched Sutton's first away win since August and puts them into the second round for the first time in five years.

With less than a minute played Biamou crossed low to Eastmond, whose shot trickled through the hands of Deren Ibrahim.

Dartford recovered quickly, with Bradbrook striking from 25 yards to level the scores, but 10 minutes later failure to clear a Sutton corner allowed an unmarked Deacon to fire home.

In the 17th minute referee Samuel Allison awarded a debatable penalty for an Eastmond handball, and Bradbrook duly converted.

But just six minutes later Deacon burst through a statuesque Dartford back four and squared to Biamou, who shot low in the bottom left-hand corner.

Ofori-Acheampong equalised early in the second half, but goals from Stearn and Deacon put distance between the teams before Stearn's 20-yard effort capped the win three minutes into injury time.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Exeter City 1-3 Luton Town

Two Danny Hylton penalties helped Luton Town into the second round of the FA Cup with victory at Exeter City.

Despite a promising start by Exeter, Luton went in front on 11 minutes when Pierce Sweeney was adjudged to have fouled Hylton in the box and he stepped up to cheekily dink the resultant penalty over the diving Bobby Olejnik.

David Wheeler glanced a header wide and Robbie Simpson again went close as Exeter threatened an equaliser.

It finally came on 39 minutes when Ethan Ampadu's thumping long-range shot came back off the post and Reuben Reid tapped in the rebound.

Cameron McGeehan headed wide as Luton dominated the start of the second half and Luton went back in front in 72 minutes when a deep cross was bundled in at the back post by Glen Rea.

Pelly Ruddock was sent off after picking up his second yellow card and that led to an Exeter onslaught with Holmes firing high and Reid heading over.

But Luton wrapped it up when Troy Archibald-Henville was penalised for a foul on Craig Mackail-Smith on 86 minutes and Hylton scored his second spot kick to book the Hatters' place in round two.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Gillingham 2-2 Brackley Town

National League North side Brackley held on to secure an FA Cup first round replay with League One club Gillingham.

The non-league side, who knocked the Gills out of the Cup in 2013, took control early on thanks to goals from Alex Gudger and Jimmy Armson.

Frank Nouble pulled a goal back, then fired in his second of the game just before half-time.

Both sides struggled to create chances after half-time as Brackley kept their hopes of a second round place alive.

Gillingham are now without a win in eight games, and face the prospect of an away tie if they are to advance beyond the first round for the first time since 2012.

They were stunned when Gudger headed home an inswinging corner and Armson curled a 25-yard effort in off the crossbar.

Nouble, however, converted Jay Emmanuel-Thomas' square pass to ease any jitters and the pair combined again for his second.

Lincoln City 2-1 Altrincham

Sean Raggett helped Lincoln City into the FA Cup second round for the first time since 2012 as they beat Altrincham at Sincil Bank.

The National League Imps have exited at the first-round stage in each of the last three seasons but Raggett's first-half header and an effort from Alan Power after the break meant John Cyrus' late goal was no more than a consolation.

City were always the superior side and were desperately unlucky not to break the deadlock early on when Harry Anderson stole possession 25 yards from goal before thundering a first-time effort against the crossbar.

But the hosts didn't wait long to open the scoring as a pinpoint corner from Sam Habergham in the 21st-minute was headed home by Raggett from six yards.

Chance after chance fell to the Imps after the break as they searched for the killer second - Theo Robinson somehow heading wide from close-range after 55 minutes.

But they made no mistake on the hour mark as Nathan Arnold scampered through the middle before slipping in Power, who finished delightfully.

The National League North visitors, against the run of play, halved the deficit on 75 minutes when Cyrus rose above a static home defence to nod home a corner but it was too late.

Report supplied by the Press Association.