Tuesday's League Two & National League reports

Newport County 2-2 Barnet

Newport County rescued a point against Barnet thanks to Sean Rigg's late penalty.

The Exiles led at half time through Ben Tozer's header as they chased a first win under Graham Westley, but were pegged back in the final exchanges.

A nine-minute double from John Akinde looked to have won it for the Bees, before Rigg struck with a minute remaining.

Newport remain bottom and six points adrift in League Two. Barnet are 18th.

Barnet had led 1-0 when the original clash at Rodney Parade was abandoned on 3 September due to heavy rainfall.

Bromley 0-2 Dover Athletic

Dover's Ricky Miller continued his assault on the scoring charts with another goal in his side's 2-0 win at Bromley.

Ross Lafayette fed the Whites' front man for his 15th of the season on 25 minutes.

Almost immediately, Rob Swaine made a hash of an attempted clearance in his own area and Lafayette netted from a tight angle to make it 2-0.

The Ravens were relieved in the second half to see Miller substituted after two missed chances, but it was perhaps a sign that Chris Kinnear's men had sewn up the game.

Bromley's miserable night was completed when Dan Johnson was shown his marching orders for picking up a second yellow card.

Match report supplied by the Press Association.

Dagenham & Redbridge 1-0 Aldershot Town

Corey Whitely scored a late winner to keep Dagenham & Redbridge second in the National League.

Whitely struck with nine minutes left as the visitors were left with nothing to show for their efforts at Victoria Road.

The Daggers nearly took an early lead, but Josh Staunton's header from Whitely's corner rebounded off the crossbar.

The Shots nearly stunned the hosts in the second half when Matt McClure saw a close-range header saved by Elliot Justham.

But Whitely cut inside and swerved an angled shot past Jake Cole for a scarcely-deserved winner.

Substitute Charlie Walker hooked a last-gasp shot against the post, possibly with the aid of Justham's fingertips, but Dagenham held on to retain second place.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Eastleigh 3-0 Torquay United

Veteran Jamie Cureton was back among the goals as Eastleigh beat Torquay 3-0 at Ten Acres.

After a subdued start, the Gulls' Jamie Reid woke up the two sets of supporters with a long-range shot that struck the bar.

After the break, 41-year-old Cureton, playing for his 15th different club in English football, headed in his first Eastleigh goal from a Luke Coulson cross.

The Spitfires turned a narrow win into a comfortable one late on. First, Andy Drury converted another devilish Coulson ball to double the lead.

Substitute Ryan Bird then rounded the night off superbly, sliding in a rebound from a tight angle after Brendan Moore had thwarted Mikael Mandron.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Guiseley 1-1 Gateshead

Struggling Guiseley were frustrated to concede another late goal as Gateshead escaped from Nethermoor Park with a 1-1 draw.

The first half was a bland affair, but the home side's new-found resilience after a terrible start to the season was palpable.

Guiseley took the lead when Simon Walton slotted a penalty past Dan Hanford after Mitch Brundle brought down Will Hatfield.

Gateshead equalised in the 86th minute when two Lions defenders paused fatally in their own box and Danny Johnson pounced to level the scores.

Walton was sent off after the full-time whistle following a scuffle with Reece Styche.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Lincoln City 2-0 Boreham Wood

Lincoln City stayed third in the National League with a straightforward 2-0 victory over Boreham Wood at Sincil Bank.

There was little for either side to shout about for most of the first half. The home crowd were left further subdued when defender Lee Beevers was grounded for six minutes after going down with a serious injury, and he had to be stretchered off.

In the sixth minute of added time at the end of the first half, however, Nathan Arnold gave the Imps the lead after Matt Rhead nodded down an Alex Woodyard cross.

Danny Cowley's men secured victory in the second half when Sam Habergham's centre was controlled by Rhead, and the striker chipped Grant Smith expertly.

Match report supplied by the Press Association.

Macclesfield Town 0-0 Chester FC

Chester twice needed the help of the woodwork at their former home at Moss Rose as they held Macclesfield to a goalless Cheshire derby draw.

Macc substitute Danny Rowe's late left-foot curler hit the post, before he then struck the same upright with a low left-foot shot.

In an entertainingly competitive game, Macc midfielder Danny Whitaker was also denied by a fine first-half save by debutant Chester keeper Alex Lynch.

But Chester deserved to extend their unbeaten National League run to nine games, during which they have conceded just one goal.

Chester went close before the break as Jordan Chappell and Elliott Durrell were both denied.

But the pace and trickery of ex-Chester striker Chris Holroyd also caused the visitors problems.

Solihull Moors 0-1 Forest Green Rovers

Forest Green maintained their four-point lead at the top of the National League, and kept a seventh consecutive clean sheet, with a 1-0 win over Solihull Moors.

It took until the second half, but the league leaders finally broke the deadlock on the hour mark with the help of Solihull captain Liam Daly, who put through his own net from Dan Wishart's fizzing cross.

The situation went from bad to worse for the hosts with 10 minutes left, when Darryl Knights was sent off.

Christian Doidge almost doubled the lead in stoppage time, but he could not find the target after a quick turn in the area.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Southport 2-0 York City

Southport clinched their first National League win since September by beating York 2-0 at Haig Avenue.

Both sides traded chances in the first half, but the game sprung into action two minutes after the break with Jamie Allen giving Southport the lead from the penalty spot.

Moments later it was almost two, but substitute goalkeeper Scott Flinders denied Andrai Jones from point-blank range.

Flinders was in fine form, saving again from Jones and Allen, but he could do nothing to stop the latter wrapping up the points in stoppage time with a well-timed finish.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Sutton United 2-2 Maidstone United

Maidstone United came from two goals down to deny Sutton United victory in a 2-2 draw after a remarkable first half at Gander Green Lane.

Dan Fitchett netted the opener on 17 minutes, meeting Craig Eastmond's cross with a bullet header following a smart one-two out wide with Ross Stearn.

Stearn was involved again as Sutton made it two only six minutes later when his corner was met by Nicky Bailey, who headed low into the net.

But a Bobby-Joe Taylor penalty on 25 minutes halved the deficit almost immediately, before Jamar Loza levelled on the stroke of half-time with his first goal for Maidstone.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 North Ferriby United

A stoppage-time strike from Andy Cook was enough to clinch a 1-0 win for play-off chasing Tranmere against bottom-placed North Ferriby.

Cook struck three minutes into added time and there was still time for his team-mate James Norwood to be sent off before full-time.

There was little action in the first half, but Rovers stepped up the pressure after the break, with Jeff Hughes and Norwood at the heart of the action.

The pair combined in the 63rd minute, Norwood heading Hughes' corner against the post.

Tranmere won it in dramatic fashion as Cook found the net before Norwood was shown a straight red card after a clash with North Ferriby goalkeeper Rory Watson.

Report supplied by the Press Association.

Woking 2-3 Braintree Town

Braintree are level on points with 20th-placed Woking in the National League after a stunning 3-2 win at the Kingfield Stadium.

The visitors took the lead after only two minutes when Oliver Muldoon's powerful 25-yard free-kick was deflected in, leaving Brandon Hall helpless.

Woking then turned the game on its head with Joe Jones levelling proceedings from close range on 25 minutes before Fabio Saraiva gave them the lead from 27 yards five minutes later.

Gozie Ugwu thought he had added another for the Cards three minutes before the break, but for the linesman's flag.

Then Michael Cheek's header equalised for Braintree on 51 minutes before Simeon Akinola scored the winner for the visitors with nine minutes remaining, poking home from seven yards.

Match report supplied by the Press Association.

Wrexham 2-2 Barrow

Ryan Yates scored a late equaliser for Barrow to deny Wrexham victory in Dean Keates' first game in permanent charge.

Byron Harrison gave the visitors the lead after nine minutes with a free header from Jordan Williams' corner.

Curtis Tilt headed home John Rooney's cross to bring Wrexham level 16 minutes later.

Rooney's stunning strike put Wrexham ahead but Yates levelled for Barrow with two minutes remaining as he capitalised on poor defending.

The late goal denied Wrexham a second successive league win under Keates.

The draw saw Barrow extend their unbeaten league record to 12 games and Paul Cox's side remain in the play-off places in fifth spot while Wrexham stay in 14th.

Keates had earlier in the day been confirmed as Gary Mills' successor after three games in caretaker charge of the Dragons.

Top Stories