Ayr United stuttered their way into the Scottish Challenge Cup quarter-finals after Gary Harkins' extra-time goal settled an uninspiring encounter.
Luke Leahy missed a penalty for Falkirk in the second half, rattling the left post after Lee Miller was up-ended.
It took 115 minutes to provide a breakthrough with a scrambled effort from the outstanding Harkins.
Ayr keeper Greg Fleming then produced a wonderful save to allow the hosts to hang on and avoid a penalty shootout.
Reduced prices tempted just 1,247 souls to Somerset Park, and they witnessed a first half short on thrills.
Scott Shepherd's low shot for Falkirk was straight at keeper Fleming, while United came closest with a fiery effort from Harkins.
It was little better after the break, despite a turn and shot from Allan Forrest which produced a fine save from Falkirk goalkeeper Deniz Dogan Mehmet.
After Leahy's penalty miss, a shootout appeared inevitable before Harkins struck five minutes from the end of extra time.
- 4GilmourSubstituted forDonaldat 76'minutes
- 14CairneySubstituted forCrawfordat 90'minutes
- 23DochertyBooked at 100mins
- 21McGuffieSubstituted forO'Connellat 69'minutes
- 2KiddBooked at 64mins
- 15GasparottoBooked at 77mins
- 21ShepherdSubstituted forBairdat 80'minutes
- 8KerrSubstituted forBluesat 110'minutes
- 19McHughSubstituted forSibbaldat 68'minutes
- Alan Muir
- Shots on Target