Tuesday's League Two reports

Accrington 1-1 Mansfield

Terry Gornell rescued a point for Accrington after Chris Clements had put Mansfield ahead in a 1-1 draw at the Wham Stadium.

Both sides had a chance to get into the play-off places with victory but they had to share the spoils in a tepid encounter.

Jordan Clark fired wide for Stanley in the third minute and that was the closest either side came in the opening half-hour.

Mansfield had forced a number of corners and won a free-kick on the edge of the box on 31 minutes after a trip on Mitchell Rose.

Clements fired home the set-piece, off the underside of the crossbar, to make sure the Stags avoided beating an unwanted record of going five league games without a goal, which they set in 2000.

Stanley huffed and puffed but Mansfield still looked the main threat with Kevan Hurst testing Elliot Parish before half-time.

Whatever John Coleman said at the break worked as the Reds came out pressing with Stanley levelling on 56 minutes.

Janoi Donacien's free-kick in his own half was flicked on and fell to Gornell in the area and the striker's composed finish was his first goal of the campaign.

Winger Clark had two chances to put Stanley ahead - both efforts looping just over the bar - but neither side really looked like grabbing the victory.

Barnet 2-2 Morecambe

Morecambe twice came from behind to draw with Barnet, despite a John Akinde double at The Hive.

Shrimps forward Paul Mullin hit the post in the opening exchanges but it was the home side who took the lead.

Akinde latched onto Michael Nelson's long pass and chipped the ball over goalkeeper Barry Roche for his sixth of the season.

But Morecambe were level almost immediately, Tom Barkhuizen following in to nod his equaliser home after seeing the ball hit the post.

The visitors hit the woodwork twice more but the Bees retook the lead with another neat Akinde finish, converting Nicholls' clever pass.

The striker almost completed his hat-trick 10 minutes after the break, only for Roche to produce a brilliant one-handed save from point-blank range.

And Morecambe eventually claimed their second equaliser of the night when Cole Stockton turned in James Jennings' cross, the only real chance Jim Bentley's side created after half-time.

Blackpool 3-1 Portsmouth

Blackpool earned their first league win at Bloomfield Road since the opening day of the season with a comprehensive 3-1 victory over high-flying Portsmouth.

The Tangerines struck first after 18 minutes. Jack Payne's free-kick from the left was met six yards out by Kelvin Mellor, who flicked a header over the onrushing David Forde and into the net.

Portsmouth were back on level terms in the 34th minute as Danny Rose's shot was deflected high into the air and dropped for Conor Chaplin, 12 yards out, who produced a stunning overhead kick to net the equaliser.

Pompey had League Two's joint-tightest defence ahead of the midweek fixtures, but were breached again four minutes after the break.

Armand Gnanduillet played in Kyle Vassell, who squared the ball beyond Forde for Brad Potts to tap into an empty net from four yards out.

And it was three for the home side after 65 minutes, as Vassell robbed Tom Davies in possession and broke clear through on goal, slotting calmly past Forde from 15 yards.

Cambridge 1-0 Yeovil

Mark Roberts' goal secured Cambridge a 1-0 win against Yeovil which lifted the U's off the bottom of the League Two table.

Defender Roberts turned the ball home from close range after 65 minutes, pouncing after Artur Krysiak had saved Adam McGurk's header from Harrison Dunk's corner.

The goal was a deserved one for the home side, who dominated for most of the game, though they did survive an early scare when Ryan Hedges could only guide Nathan Smith's low cross over from close range.

Luke Berry fired off target three times from the edge of the box in the first period, while McGurk curled a free-kick into the side netting from 35 yards with a fine effort eight minutes before the interval.

Roberts nearly sealed the points from another Dunk delivery for Cambridge 17 minutes from time but saw Krysiak keep out his flicked header with a magnificent save.

With the last kick of the game, Hedges blazed a loose ball over the bar with Yeovil's best chance to snatch a dramatic point.

Cheltenham 0-0 Stevenage

Strugglers Cheltenham and Stevenage battled out a scrappy goalless draw at Whaddon Road.

In a match of few chances, neither side mustered much in the way of impetus on an uninspiring night in Gloucestershire.

Cheltenham's Billy Waters forced a strong one-handed save from Jamie Jones after eight minutes but the best openings of the first half came within 60 seconds of one another.

Stevenage's Charlie Lee had a header cleared off the line by Jack Barthram on 18 minutes before Danny Wright held up for Harry Pell to fire a low shot across goal which was pushed around the far post by Jones at the other end.

The visitors upped the ante before half-time and Stevenage's Tyler Walker teed up Dale Gorman to fizz over from 18 yards, five minutes after the restart.

Cheltenham then enjoyed their own purple patch and with 13 minutes remaining, Pell's drive from a quick lay-off was scrambled around the upright by Jones.

The game became stretched late on with Kgosi Ntlhe guiding another Cowans free-kick back across goal, where the alert Griffiths pushed away.

Crawley 1-1 Colchester

Substitute Chris Porter hit a dramatic 88th-minute equaliser as Colchester forced a 1-1 draw at Crawley.

Adi Yussuf gave the hosts a first-half lead on his first home league start for the club, but Porter ensured a share of the points by smashing the ball into the roof of the net from the edge of the area.

Striker Yussuf, who scored one and made the other two in Crawley's 3-2 win at Morecambe last Saturday, gave the hosts the lead in the 17th minute.

Former Chelsea youngster Kaby Djalo began the move with an excellent cross-field pass and Dutchman Enzio Boldewijn played the ball into Yussuf who beat keeper Sam Walker with a deft finish.

Crawley defender Lewis Young picked up a booking for bringing down Tariq Fosu on the edge of the area and Craig Slater put the resulting free-kick over.

Slater had a long-range shot easily saved by keeper Glenn Morris shortly before the interval as Colchester struggled to impose themselves.

United midfielder Sammie Szmodics got into a good position inside the area on the hour, but put an angled shot across the face of the goal.

Szmodics threatened again when his goal-bound header was turned onto the post by keeper Morris.

Colchester applied late pressure and were rewarded when Porter lashed home his fourth of the season.

Doncaster 2-2 Carlisle

Carlisle remain unbeaten in League Two after a 2-2 draw at fellow high-flyers Doncaster.

Rovers came from a goal down to lead before Tommy Rowe's missed penalty was punished with a United equaliser.

Shaun Miller opened the scoring for the visitors in fortuitous circumstances after he got the final touch on Nicky Adams' wayward shot, just a couple of yards out.

That goal should have given momentum to the visitors but it was Rovers who were fired up and they duly equalised two minutes later.

A slick, passing move was finished with aplomb by Rowe, who coolly sidefooted the ball into the net.

The hosts then dominated play going close on numerous occasions before John Marquis eventually fired them in front from distance.

Rowe should have doubled Rovers' lead just after the interval but saw his penalty, won after Andy Butler was felled, come back off a post.

Carlisle gradually worked their way back into the game and stretched their unbeaten run thanks to sub Jabo Ibehre's 79th-minute header at the back post.

Exeter 0-2 Notts County

Two goals from Jon Stead were enough for Notts County to claim victory at Exeter that moved them into the League Two play-off places.

County got off to a dream start with a goal inside two minutes.

Exeter's Luke Croll missed his tackle, Alex Rodman ran through on goal and unselfishly squared for Stead to roll the ball into an empty net.

The Grecians were struggling to do anything of note, with County containing them easily, and the away side doubled their lead on 34 minutes.

A free-kick into the box was not dealt with by the Exeter defence and Stead was on hand to poke home the loose ball from close range.

Jake Taylor turned and shot wide for Exeter, while Reuben Reid saw a deflected shot gathered by Adam Collin as Exeter toiled, but they were struggling to break down a well-drilled County backline.

Reid almost bagged a consolation for Exeter, but his free-kick was brilliantly saved by Collin.

The Magpies were happy to sit in and soak up pressure and the win was enough to see John Sheridan's men move into the top seven. For Exeter, they slip ever closer to the bottom two.

Grimsby 1-0 Newport

Omar Bogle's late penalty lifted Grimsby into the play-off spots and condemned Newport County to propping up the League Two table.

Dan Butler brought down Tom Bolarinwa in the box and Bogle struck from the spot to become the division's leading scorer this season.

It left County boss Warren Feeney under even more pressure after only one win this term.

By contrast, Grimsby are one point away from the automatic promotion spots.

Hartlepool 1-1 Luton

Alan Sheehan's sublime free-kick earned Luton a draw at 10-man Hartlepool and moved the Hatters up to second in League Two.

The veteran defender curled home against Hartlepool, who saw Nicky Featherstone given a 55th-minute red card, to cancel out birthday boy Nathan Thomas' first-half opener for the hosts.

Luton enjoyed a bright start as Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu twice went close to opening the scoring.

But Pools grew into the contest and netted on the stroke of half-time when Thomas tapped into an empty net after Christian Walton parried Lewis Hawkins' effort into his path.

Craig Hignett's men almost doubled their advantage as Padraig Amond rattled the woodwork, and their frustration was only compounded by Featherstone being shown a straight red card for a lunge on Olly Lee.

The buoyed Hatters pressed forward, with Jack Marriott volleying over from close range before Toto Nsiala brilliantly deflected Mpanzu's effort onto the woodwork.

A leveller came when Sheehan expertly found the top corner from 20 yards, with Luton frustrated not to take all three points as Jack Marriott blazed a glorious chance over in stoppage time.

Leyton Orient 0-2 Plymouth

Goals from Jimmy Spencer and Ryan Donaldson earned League Two leaders Plymouth victory at nine-man Leyton Orient.

It was to prove a baptism of fire for O's interim manager Andy Edwards, who stood in after Andy Hessenthaler was sacked on Monday.

With only 20 seconds on the clock, Orient captain Robbie Weir lunged in with a heavy tackle on Ben Purrington and was shown a red card by referee Charles Breakspear.

On 12 minutes, the table-toppers took the lead when David Goodwillie slipped a free-kick past a static home defence for Spencer to run on and slide the ball past keeper Alex Cisak.

Then O's midfielder Liam Kelly limped out of the game with an injury before Orient's problems were further compounded when their debutant defender Jens Janse saw red after being adjudged to be the last man when he brought down Jake Jervis.

The home side showed battling qualities against an Argyle outfit for whom Graham Carey was an influential playmaker.

However, the visitors failed to add to the slender advantage as Cisak parried away a Carey effort and then saved a close-range shot by Spencer.

Early in the second period, Nigel Atangana, who had replaced Kelly, was himself substituted after suffering a leg injury.

The one-way traffic continued after the break as the heroic Cisak prevented the visitors causing further damage producing outstanding saves from Spencer and Carey while a number of other Plymouth opportunities went sailing wide of the goal.

Argyle finally found the target again with six minutes of normal time remaining when Spencer crossed for substitute Donaldson to tuck the ball home from close range.

Wycombe 5-1 Crewe

Substitute Scott Kashket marked his home debut with two goals as struggling Wycombe Wanderers thrashed play-off chasing Crewe.

With Wanderers already three goals ahead at half-time after efforts from Sam Wood, Paris Cowan-Hall and Dominic Gape, Kashket entered the action on 62 minutes before scoring twice in the next seven minutes.

George Cooper netted a consolation but the night belonged to Wycombe, who scored five for the first time under manager Gareth Ainsworth.

Wood broke the deadlock with an easy finish from Paul Hayes' cut back.

The goal looked to have galvanised Crewe but the Chairboys struck again with a looping header by Cowan-Hall from Michael Harriman's cross in the before Gape's curled finish made it 3-0 before half-time.

Crewe looked to fight back in the second half, with a spell of possession, but conceded again when Kashket beat keeper Ben Garratt to the ball and finished into an open goal.

The Wycombe man then added another on 69 minutes from close range while Cooper pulled one back two minutes later following a corner.

Reports supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories