Saturday's National League reports

Wrexham 0-0 Chester FC

Resilient Chester held Wrexham to a scoreless draw in the Anglo-Welsh derby in the National League.

Gary Mills' team dominated the first half, but Michael Bakare failed to capitalise on two good headed chances.

The other talking point was a tackle on Craig Mahon which earned John Rooney a booking, with referee Martin Coy possibly lenient.

Neither team looked capable of breaking the deadlock and the result was met with a chorus of boos from home fans.

Aldershot Town 3-0 Gateshead

Aldershot's unbeaten run stretched to seven National League games after a comfortable win over Gateshead at the Recreation Ground.

The Shots thought they had opened the scoring after two minutes as Jake Gallagher tapped into an empty net only for it to be ruled out.

Iffy Allen broke the deadlock soon after half time when his fine curled strike from outside the box beat Dan Hanford, before Matt McClure made it 2-0 with a penalty 10 minutes later.

Substitute Charlie Walker added to the scoreline in stoppage time as Aldershot got a win after three successive draws.

Barrow 2-0 York City

Barrow moved up to third place in the National League after cruising to victory over York at Holker Street.

The hosts were made to wait until the second half to go in front, with Dan Livesey's bullet header from Jordan Williams' corner the breakthrough they needed.

York defender Matt Fry's own goal eight minutes later was enough to ensure Barrow's unbeaten run stretches to seven games.

York, meanwhile, drop one place to 18th after losing three of their last four games.

Braintree Town 0-1 Forest Green

Sam Russell saved a late penalty to secure victory for Forest Green at Braintree in the National League.

Keanu Marsh-Brown's second goal in two games was enough as he broke the deadlock, just when it looked like Braintree might survive through to the interval.

With 19 minutes to go the hosts had a golden opportunity to earn a point but Russell got down well to his left to deny Chez Isaac from the penalty spot.

Mark Cooper's side remain second in the table, one point behind leaders Dagenham, while Braintree stay 22nd.

Bromley 1-3 Dag & Red

Corey Whitely scored for the first time as Dagenham & Redbridge kept hold of top spot in the National League with victory at 10-man Bromley.

Whitely opened the scoring as he rifled home from outside the box after picking up Oliver Hawkins' flick on.

Rob Swaine equalised for the hosts soon after half time from a corner, but two minutes later he was sent off for a challenge in the run up to Jordan Maguire-Drew restoring Dagenham's lead.

With the hosts seeing out the game with 10 men, Hawkins wrapped up the win with a penalty after Dave Martin brought Maguire-Drew down in the box.

Dover Athletic 2-0 Lincoln City

Dover made it four wins in six National League games with victory over high-flying Lincoln.

Skipper Jamie Grimes got the hosts off to a perfect start, heading home from a corner in the fourth minute.

Nathan Arnold nearly found himself in a great position to equalise after 22 minutes, but his heavy touch made it easy for Dover goalkeeper Steve Arnold to race out and smother the ball.

That was as close as the visitors came as Moses Emmanuel doubled his side's lead with a clinical finish after 53 minutes.

Eastleigh 2-1 Sutton Utd

Luke Coulson's quick-fire brace extended Eastleigh's unbeaten run in the National League to eight games as they beat Sutton at Ten Acres.

After a tense first half, Coulson sparked the game into life with two goals in three minutes just after the break.

The 22-year-old was perfectly placed to collect a squared ball and slot home to break the deadlock, before getting on the end of a similar pass second two minutes later.

Ross Stearn gave the visitors hope with a superb strike from distance with nine minutes remaining.

Bedsente Gomis spurned a golden chance to equalise from the penalty spot as he was denied by Eastleigh goalkeeper Ryan Clarke.

Guiseley 1-2 Macclesfield Town

Guiseley's nightmare start to the season as the National League's winless bottom side went down at home to Macclesfield.

Chris Holroyd gave the Silkmen the lead as he latched onto a ball over the top and lobbed Jonathan Maxted successfully.

Injury forced Macc into an early change as David Fitzpatrick went off, but replacement Mitch Hancox soon crossed for Ollie Norburn to volley in Macc's second at the back post.

Jordan Preston and Nicky Clee combined well to allow Preston to pull one back with a smart finish, but Macclesfield controlled proceedings in the second half, leaving the hosts without a win in their opening 12 games of the season.

North Ferriby Utd 0-1 Southport

Southport got just their second win of the season as they beat North Ferriby at Grange Lane.

The Sandgrounders dominated the early stages and James Gray missed a good chance to put his side ahead.

North Ferriby had chances in the first half, as Reece Thompson cut inside before smashing against the bar.

On the stroke of half-time, Liam Nolan poked in the only goal for the visitors - the first time Southport had scored from open play in the first half of a match this season.

The Villagers responded vigorously in the second half, but Steve Burr's men deserved the points for some stern defending.

Solihull Moors 1-1 Boreham Wood

Luke Garrard's Boreham Wood once again showed great determination to chisel out a draw at Solihull.

The in-form visitors struck the bar through Kenny Davis in the first half, but had to work hard against their industrious hosts.

Jamey Osborne smashed the Moors in front early in the second, taking a weak clearance from a throw-in with confidence and finding the bottom corner.

The Wood, however, emphasised their recent resolve as Angelo Balanta ended a good passing move to equalise.

Solihull tried in vain to end their run of six games without a win as Ryan Beswick's ball was headed wide by Liam Daly and Jordan Fagbola went close from short range.

Torquay Utd 2-3 Maidstone Utd

Yemi Odubade scored twice for Maidstone in a pulsating win at Torquay United.

The Gulls were undone by a dreadful opening 20 minutes as Odubade pounced for the away side after Aman Verma had given the ball away in his own area.

Then, when a free-kick was deflected into the path of Liam Enver-Marum, the striker made no mistake, beating Brendan Moore with a fierce shot.

Nathan Blissett changed the half-time team talks, scoring after Luke Young opened up the chance with a clever through-ball.

Odubade collected a poor header by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner to make it 3-1, despite an initial save by Moore, before Dan Sparkes jabbed in to respond quickly for Torquay.

Tranmere Rovers 3-1 Woking

Tranmere moved up to fourth place in the National League after an exciting win over Woking.

Rovers' Andy Cook took down a long ball by Lois Maynard before beating Michael Poke to open the scoring, before the same combination saw Cook double his and Tranmere's tally.

The two sides exchanged goals in the second half as Fabio Saraiva registered for Woking from distance, but James Norwood flicked in Ritchie Sutton's excellent ball with his head for Rovers' third.

Woking's Keiran Murtagh missed a chance to make things interesting when his penalty was saved by Scott Davies, before Joey Jones gave away a penalty at the other end as he upended Mitch Duggan.

Jones was sent off for the challenge, but Norwood failed to convert his spot-kick.

Reports supplied by the Press Association.

Top Stories